Special Places

Sycamore Canyon Falls

Sycamore Canyon Falls will fall leaves and water

On the Sycamore Rim Trail, Williams Ranger District, Kaibab N. F.

No matter which of the three Kaibab National Forest districts you choose to visit -- Williams, Tusayan, North Kaibab -- you will be blown away by the natural beauty, diverse flora and fauna, and outstanding recreational opportunities. We encourage you to spend time exploring Kaibab National Forest and all it has to offer. 


Highlighted Areas

Grandview Lookout Tower

This steel lookout tower and two-room cabin were built in 1936 by the Civilian Conservation Corps. Lookout towers represent the U.S. Forest Service's long-standing commitment to fire detection and control.

In the first years after the Forest Service was established in 1905, fire guards patrolled the forest on horseback. The earliest form of lookout structure was simply a platform mounted on a tree. The fire guard would climb the tree, spot the fire and then report it. Eventually, permanent stations such as this one were established.

This site is now a trailhead for the Arizona Trail.

Kanab Creek Wilderness

Flowing from its origin some 50 miles to the north in southern Utah, Kanab Creek and its tributaries have cut a network of vertical-walled gorges deep into the Kanab and Kaibab Plateaus. Within these walls lies a maze of water and wind carved fins, knobs, potholes, and other intricately sculptured forms. Elevations range from near 2,000 feet at the river to 6,000 feet at the rim's edge. The upper reaches serve as a winter range for the Kaibab mule deer. Vegetation is varied and sparse except for heavy riparian growth in the creek bottom. There are few dependable water sources here for man or beast during the summer months when temperatures approach 120 degrees. A number of trails lead into this rather hostile environment but many are poorly marked and infrequently maintained. Limited and arduous access to the Kanab Creek area adds a measure of remoteness that says this is truly wilderness.

Kanab Creek Wilderness Access Map

"Landscapes" Images Album

Stone to Steel Dam Trail

The Stone and Steel Dams were built by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad to store water for use for the railroad operations.  The Stone Dam, also known as the Masonry Dam, was constructed in 1911, and is located on private land owned by John F. Long. 

The Ashfork Development Association, along with the Ashfork Museum and Information Center, help to manage the dam and reservoir which are open to the public for recreation and are accessible via a two track road located just north of Historic Route 66. 

The Steel Dam, also known as the Ash Fork-Bainbridge Steel Dam, was constructed in 1895 and is located about 0.5 miles down the drainage (to the west) of the Stone Dam on land managed by the Kaibab National Forest.  The Steel Dam is open for public use, but the road to access it is not very well maintained along the north side of the dam.