Research Permits

In addition to offering world class recreation, the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests and Pawnee National Grassland (ARP) provide opportunities for research.  Any research activities including collection of plants or animals found on the ARP requires a Special Use Permit.  

Due to the high volume of requests for research permits we must receive a complete application, including map, a minimum of 60 days before the intended start date.  The application will be reviewed to determine what level of National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) may be required.  Proposals that involve facilities, are long term, or include ground disturbance may require additional time to process – please plan accordingly.  In some cases, such as research involving rare plants or wildlife, consultation with other agencies may be necessary.  

Research applications may be subject to Cost Recovery which covers time agency employees spend processing the application.

For additional information please see our frequently asked questions, or contact one of our offices to speak with a Lands and Realty Specialist.

Completed applications may be returned to the attention of the district lands staff for the district on which the research is proposed.  If the proposal encompasses more than one district please submit the application to the lands program manager in the ARP Supervisor’s Office.