Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue. On-going operational updates will be posted here (https://www.fs.fed.us/shutdown) as we are able to provide them.

 
 

Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests and Pawnee National Grassland History

History

The Arapaho National Forest was established by Theodore Roosevelt on July 1, 1908. It was named after the Native American tribe that occupied the region for summer hunting.

The Roosevelt National Forest, originally part of the Medicine Bow Forest Reserve, was first named the Colorado National Forest in 1910 and was renamed by President Herbert Hoover to honor President Theodore Roosevelt in 1932.

The Pawnee National Grassland was transferred to the Forest Service from the Soil Conservation Service in 1954. The Soil Conservation Service acquired this prairie during the dust bowl days of the 1930s and was charged with its rehabilitation. It was designated a national grassland in 1960.

Other historical event include...

  • 1906 - The Colorado Division of Medicine Bow was established, with the supervisor based in Fort Collins.
  • 1927 - The road to Mount Evans, near Idaho Springs, was completed.
  • 1937 - Berthoud Pass Ski Area and Loveland Ski Areas opened.
  • 1940 - Winter Park Ski Area opened.
  • 1962 - Eldora Mountain Ski Area opened.
  • 1978 - Arapaho National Recreation Area designated.
  • 2000 - Bobcat Fire, largest fire on the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests and Pawnee National Grassland, burned.
  • 2001 - Roosevelt Hot Shots start on the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests and Pawnee National Grassland as part of the National Fire Plan.

Other historical information links...

Pawnee National Grassland History

Boulder Ranger District History

Clear Creek Ranger District History





https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/learning/?cid=fsm91_058307