History of Shadow Mountain Construction

Construction Begins


A picture of worker housing at Shadow MountainConstruction of the Shadow Mountain Camp began in October of 1939 and consisted of 2 duplexes, two three room cottages, two four room cottages, two five room cottages, an office, garage, laboratory and a warehouse.






A Pleasing Design

Read the following description by James Ogilvie a Bureau of Reclamation engineer as he describes the interior of the houses at Shadow Mountain,

“A fireplace of pleasing design has been built into each single residence.  Floors in the residences consist of oak flooring laid over a sub-floor of pine with an insulating layer of paper placed between. ….Inside walls are of plaster applied over wood lath.  Insulation has been placed in all of the outside walls and ceilings, an item which will reduce materially the cost of heating during the winter months.”

Learn what life was like in a construction camp in the early 20th Century.


A picture of a layout of the Estes Park camp

The Bureau of Reclamation constructed the Main Headquarters for the Colorado – Big Thompson project in Estes Colorado.  As was the Bureau of Reclamation standard at the time the Estes Camp was a planned community that was laid out in tri-angle format, with the Headquarters office at the apex of the triangle.  As with all of the other camps the Estes camp provided office space, dormitory housing for workers, and a large garage for the maintenance of vehicles, 24 permanent houses and six temporary duplex residences.   All of the permanent houses were one-story wood frame houses in Colonial or semi-colonial architectural types following Bureau of Reclamation Denver office standard designs.