Target Shooting Restrictions & Closures
- Go to Target Shooting
Follow all Federal Rules and Regulations
Regional Restriction (affects all National Forests and Grasslands in Colorado)
- Rocky Mountain Region Closure Order: R02-2016-03 prohibits using an explosive, including exploding targets. An explosive is defined as any chemical compound, mixture, or device, the primary or common purpose of which is to function by explosion.
Forest and Grassland-wide Restrictions
- On the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests and Pawnee National Grassland you may only shoot at cardboard targets, paper targets, self-healing targets, manufactured metallic targets (metal targets specifically designed for firearms), or manufactured thrown-type clay targets (clay pigeons) No wooden backing is allowed. (Forest Order ARP-2016-07) It is up to a $5,000 fine and/or imprisonment for up to six months for using an unapproved target.
- Additionally, you may not possess an open container of an alcoholic beverage while discharging a firearm. (Forest Order ARP-2016-07)
Local Target Shooting Closure Information
For safety reasons areas have been closed to discharging a firearm. These areas are usually signed and listed on our website. These restrictions are in place in addition to the Code of Federal Regulations. Always check before you go to ensure you have the latest information, closure order and map. These closures do not apply to legal hunting activities.
The Forest is also beginning the process for implementing its 2019 Recreational Sport Shooting Decision and working its way through the John D. Dingell, Jr. Conservation, Management, and Recreation Act. Learn more about the additional comment period.
Boulder Ranger District (National Forest System lands near Boulder, Nederland & Allenspark)
See a consolidated map of shooting closures on the Boulder Ranger District.
Download an information sheet about target shooting on the Boulder Ranger District.
- Brainard Lake Recreational Area
- Former Allenspark Dump
- South Nederland Closure
- Flood Related Shooting Closure - James Canyon, Lefthand Canyon, Mount Alto, and Sugarloaf Mountain
- Lefthand Slot Canyon Closure
- Lefthand Entrance Closure
Canyon Lakes Ranger District (National Forest System lands near Loveland, Fort Collins, Estes Park & Redfeather Lakes)
- Buckhorn Road
- Stove Prairie Road
- Big Elk Meadows Road
- Christy Meadows
- Greyrock Trail
Clear Creek Ranger District (National Forest System lands near Idaho Springs & Georgetown)
- Barbour Forks Trailhead Area
- Beaver Brook Trailhead Area
Pawnee National Grassland (National Grassland System lands near Ault, Nunn & Greeley)
South of County Road 96 and West of County Road 63. The closure is located in Township 8 North, Range 63 West, Section 7.
Please note: The area along County Road 61 is closed to recreational shooting due to the lack of safe backstops.
Sulphur Ranger District (National Forest System Lands near Sulphur Springs)
Colorado Division of Wildlife has a range located at U.S. Highway 40 near mile post 198 west of the Town of Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado.