Wilderness Rules and Regulations
Please take time to review specific regulations for the area you are visiting. Violators will be prosecuted.
Nation-wide Wilderness regulations:
Motorized equipment and equipment used for mechanical transport is prohibited. This includes the use of motor vehicles, motorboats, motorized equipment, bicycles, hang gliders, wagons, carts, portage wheels, and the landing of aircraft including helicopters. Wheelchairs suitable for indoor use are exempt.
Wilderness specific regulations:
- Byers Peak Wilderness (Sulphur Ranger District)
- Cache la Poudre Wilderness (Canyon Lakes Ranger District)
- Comanche Peak Wilderness (Canyon Lakes Ranger District)
- Indian Peaks Wilderness (Boulder and Sulphur Ranger Districts)
- James Peak Wilderness (Boulder and Clear Creek Ranger Districts)
- Mount Evans Wilderness (Clear Creek Ranger District)
- Neota Wilderness (Canyon Lakes Ranger District)
- Never Summer Wilderness (Sulphur Ranger District)
- Rawah Wilderness (Canyon Lakes Ranger District)
- Vasquez Wilderness (Sulphur Ranger District)
What to know...
- Always follow Leave No Trace practices.
- Also check our safety page for important safety information.
- General rules and regulations also apply, for specific information please view any closure orders that may apply.
Check out Leave No Trace on Youtube for some handy tips!