Swett Ranch Homestead: Greendale Schoolhouse

Imagine being in a classroom with students in grades one through eight? Or being the teacher for an isolated community, creating lesson plans to teach all grade levels?

This is the location of the one-room schoolhouse. First through eighth grades were taught by a single teacher. The children would then go to high school in Manila or Vernal. The school was in use from 1919-1941. At its peak the school served seventeen to nineteen students. The teachers would board with the Greendale ranchers. After the Ranger Station was abandoned, teachers lived there off and on. In 1941, the school district considered the building a fire hazard and allowed Oscar to remove it from National Forest land.

 Present day remains of the schoolhouse.

Present day remains of the schoolhouse.



More Information

Key Contacts

Jeffrey A. Rust
435-781-5156
jarust@fs.fed.us



https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ashley/learning/history-culture/?cid=stelprdb5274674