Swett Ranch Homestead: Ranger Station (Green River Administration Site)

In 1910, Bill Green became the district ranger. He built the first official ranger station on this site in 1912. The station was headquarters for the district but was seldom occupied full-time as rangers often had their own homesteads in the area. Ranger George Walkup and his family occupied the site fulltime for several years in the early 1920s. In 1929, the district headquarters was moved to Manila. Between 1930 and 1940, the station housed teachers of the Greendale school. In 1940, hunters accidentally burned the station to the ground. Remains of the station; a few posts, a cook stove, and foundation stones of a root cellar; are still present and part of the horse barn still stands.

Swett Ranch Homestead: Ranger Station Remains of the horse barn at the ranger station.

Location of the ranger station.
 

Remains of the horse barn at the ranger station.



More Information

Key Contacts

Jeffrey A. Rust
435-781-5156
jarust@fs.fed.us



https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ashley/learning/history-culture/?cid=stelprdb5274682