The Birch Creek Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp
"More important, however, than the material gains, will be the moral and spiritual value of such work."
These were some of the benefits that President Franklin D. Roosevelt foresaw emerging from his newly established Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1933, part of his "New Deal" for the American people.
From the depths of the Great Depression, drought, and the Dust Bowl, President Roosevelt envisioned the CCC as a program of emergency conservation work to help restore natural resources, stimulate the economy, and provide jobs and training to unemployed men.
The Birch Creek CCC Camp operated from 1935-1941 with a peak enrollment of over 200 men. They planted trees, built 42 miles of road, strung telephone line, built fences, range cabins, and livestock water projects, killed noxious weeds, built campgrounds and trails, fought forest fires, and constructed levees and dikes.
Click on the images below for more information about the "Boys of Birch Creek."
Learn more about the Birch Creek CCC Camp through this printer friendly brochure.
Interested in visiting Birch Creek CCC? Hours of Operations