Personal Use Christmas Tree Harvesting

Chugach National Forest Offers Christmas Tree Harvest for Personal Use

Anchorage, Alaska, November 2021 – For many families, cutting a Christmas tree from their backyard National Forest is a holiday tradition. The Chugach National Forest allows the public harvest of one Christmas tree from the Forest without a permit and free of charge.

There are a few  places where tree-cutting is not allowed on the National Forest

  • The Portage Valley closure extends from the Seward Highway up Portage Glacier Road to Portage Lake.
  • The Turnagain Pass closure extends from just north of the Turnagain Pass Rest Area at mile post 70 of the Seward Highway to the Bertha Creek Campground at milepost 65.5.
  • The EVOS easement lands shown on the attached map.

Download a printable flyer with attached maps.

The following guidelines will help make the tree-cutting experience go smoothly   

  • Each household or organization is allowed one tree from the Forest. The tree cannot be sold, bartered or used in any commercial-type exchange for goods.
  • Always check weather conditions and Forest closures before heading out.
  • Be certain you are on land managed by the Forest Service (be sure to consult the map.)
  • Cut trees at least 200 feet away from main roads, and 450 feet from picnic areas and campground units, administrative facilities, trails, and bodies of water.
  • Do not fell trees into streams or other bodies of water.   
  • Cut trees as close to the ground as possible. Stumps should be no higher than six inches tall.
  • Do not top trees. The entire tree, except for the stump, must be removed.  
  • Follow off-road zoning regulations.
  • Select your tree thoughtfully, to avoid leaving unsightly bare spots.

Remember, when visiting the Chugach National Forest you are responsible for your own safety and the safety of those around you.

For more information, contact:

  • Seward District office (907) 288-3178
  • Glacier District office (907) 783-3242
  • Cordova District office (907) 424-7661
  • Anchorage office (907) 743-9500.


Quick Links