Forest Plan Revision
The Cibola National Forest and National Grasslands (the Cibola) is revising its 1985 Land and Resource Management Plan (forest plan) for the Sandia, Mountainair, Magdalena, and Mt. Taylor Ranger Districts. The Cibola is one of five National Forests in New Mexico. It comprises four mountain ranger districts in central New Mexico and four grassland units in northern New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. The Cibola’s current plan revision effort encompasses the four mountain ranger districts, covering more than 1.6 million acres. The Kiowa/Rita Blanca, Black Kettle, and McClellan Creek National Grasslands are addressed separately in the Kiowa, Rita Blanca, Black Kettle and McClellan Creek National Grasslands Land and Resource Management Plan which was completed in 2012.
The forest plan provides a general framework to guide the management of forest resources, goods, and services. Forest plans are consistent with and do not override law, regulation, or established policy. The National Forest Management Act of 1976 requires that forest plans be periodically revised, usually every 15 years.
Revisions to the Cibola’s 1985 forest plan are overdue, and a lot has changed on the Cibola and in surrounding areas since then. Scientific understanding and technology have progressed, social and cultural influences and demands have changed, and stressors and threats to sustainability have increased. Some species have become rare and their persistence and viability are threatened.
The guidance in the Forest Service's 2012 Planning Rule directs forest plans to be science-based and developed with extensive public involvement and collaboration throughout the revision process. Specific guidance can be found in the 2012 Final Planning Rule Directives.
Where are we now in the process?
Learn more about the Collaborative Groups involved in the forest plan revision.
- Legal Notice of Objection Resolution
- Final Plan and FEIS
- Notice of Plan Release in Federal Register
- Notice of Plan Release in Albuquerque Journal
- Timeline and Phases
- Draft Plan & DEIS Documents
- Planning Team
- Assessment Report (2015)
- Plan Revision FAQs
- Monitoring and Evaluation Reports
Alerts & Warnings
- Forest Closure Order for Mt. Taylor, Mountainair, and Sandia Ranger Districts
- 03-0723 Kiowa/Rita-Blanca Stage II Fire Restrictions
- 03-0722 Black Kettle/McClellan Creek Areas Stage II Fire Restrictions
- 03-0719 Lake Marvin & McClellan Creek Areas Stage II Fire Restrictions
- Discharging a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun