Wildfire Preparedness is Year-Round
Release Date: Jan 19, 2023
Contact(s): Patricia E. Johnson
Resolve to be Ready in 2023!
Albuquerque, NM – January 19, 2023 – The Wildfire Preparedness is Year-Round campaign continues in 2023 with monthly wildfire preparedness messages from the Cibola National Forest and National Grasslands (NF & NGs), in partnership with the Fire Adapted New Mexico learning network (FACNM), agencies and non-governmental organizations. While winter may provide a break from wildfire activity, wildfires are possible during any time of year. As we begin this year, the message for January is Resolve to be Ready.
In spite of recent snow in many parts of the state, New Mexico is still expected to have a dry, “La Niña” winter following the 2022 monsoon season which regenerated grasses and other vegetation. Stay active this Winter to reduce wildfire risk in an incremental way. There are many resources available to learn about Living with Wildfire and Ready, Set, Go! principles to help protect your family and home. Consider sharing what you learn with neighbors to enhance the effectiveness of your own planning and action.
Resolve to be Ready:
- Sign up for county-level or local emergency alerts and warnings. Download the FEMA app or check with your city or county government to see if they have an alert and notification system in place.
- Bookmark NM Fire Info and InciWeb for up-to-date wildfire information.
- Make an emergency plan: choose a safe place to meet, learn evacuation routes, and establish an out-of-town contact.
- Take a current photo of you and your pet(s) together in case you get separated during a disaster.
- Get to know your neighbors and invite them to be a part of your emergency plan.
- Snap photos of important documents and save them in a secure place or online.
- Set up group text lists so you can communicate with friends and family during emergencies.
- Take a class in CPR and first aid.
- Keep and update emergency supplies, including cash.
- Have back-up power sources available to charge devices in case of a power outage.
- Check your insurance for coverage on disasters like wildfire and floods. Snap pictures of your property for insurance purposes.
- Save for a rainy day! Start and grow your emergency fund. Financially prepare for the New Year. Find out how with the Emergency Financial First Aid Kit.
The Cibola NF & NGs is working with the Carson and Santa Fe National Forests, New Mexico Forestry Division, Forest Stewards Guild, Fire Adapted NM, New Mexico Coalition of Conservation Districts, Bureau of Indian Affairs, National Park Service and Bureau of Land Management New Mexico State Office to continue in 2023 a wildfire preparedness calendar and share the message across multiple platforms, including social media, webinars and community events. Bookmark the wildfire preparedness webpage to follow the campaign throughout the year.