Forest Visitor Maps, National Forest Atlas, and Wilderness Maps
These maps are available for purchase at the U.S. Geological Survey Store, many Forest & Grassland Offices in the region and other retail outlets. Many Forest Visitor Maps are also available for purchase as georeferenced PDFs on Avenza, for use on mobile devices.
- Forest Visitor Maps for each national forest and grassland provide forest-wide information on attractions, facilities, services, and opportunities.
- National Forest Atlases are full color atlases, containing 8.5-inch by 11-inch topographic quadrangle maps at 1 inch to the mile scale and are available for many of the forests in California.
- Wilderness Maps are topographic maps that show natural features such as mountains, valleys, plains, lakes, rivers, and vegetation using contour lines depicting elevation gain or loss. Each map covers all or part of one wilderness area and the scale is generally 1 inch per mile (1:63,360).
You may purchase National Forest Visitor Maps online through the U.S. Geological Survey Store.
Visitor Forest Maps Offered
- Pine Creek and Hauser Wilderness
- Agua Tibia and San Mateo (8"x10" size)
In general, forest visitor and other kinds of maps can be purchased at most Cleveland National Forest Offices.
Digital Maps for Mobile Devices
The Avenza Maps Mobile App, developed by Avenza Systems Inc., is available as a free download from iTunes and the Android Play Store. The app provides access to Forest Service maps, such as motor-vehicle-use maps, which are free while pages from national forest atlases are 99 cents and forest visitor maps are $4.99. Prices are pending for other agency maps.
- FSTopo is the Forest Service series of large scale topographic maps. FSTopo maps are 7.5 minute, 1:24,000-scale over the conterminous United States, and 15 minute X 20-22.5 minute, 1:63,360-scale over Alaska. These maps are available for download at Forest Service Topography Maps.
Pacific Crest Trail
Please visit this website for information and maps of the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail (PCT)
Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)
The Motor Vehicle Use Map displays National Forest System routes (roads and trails) or areas designated open to motorized travel. The Motor Vehicle Use Map also displays uses allowed by vehicle class (highway-legal vehicles, vehicles less than 50 inches wide and motorcycles), and seasonal allowances.