Pass & Permits

The Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest manages resources to meet sustainable resource management objectives. Most National Forest System lands are open and free of charge for your use and enjoyment. However, some areas and activities do require fees or permits to help maintain, manage, and improve the amenities that you enjoy. 

Contact a local office with questions about permits, and to confirm hours and availability of service. 


Which Pass/Permit Do You Need?  

Graphic: Image of bighorn sheep crossing a river on front of recreation pass.

Recreation Passes

Find out more about available day, annual and lifetime recreation passes - how much they are, who can purchase them and where to buy them.

Truck with cut trees in truckbed

Forest Product Permits

Find out more about obtaining a fuelwood/firewood permit, along with information on plant collection, gathering, minerals and holiday tree permits.

Event/Commercial Permits: Right of Way


Learn about special use permits that may be required for water transmission, road and utility right-of-ways, research, events and commercial activities.

Other Permits: Snowplowed Road


Geocaching is permitted in most areas of the forest. Learn how to register a cache and help protect the forest’s natural resources.