Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue. On-going operational updates will be posted here (https://www.fs.fed.us/shutdown) as we are able to provide them.


Bring Home a Holiday Tree from the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest

Get a free Christmas Tree permit for all fourth graders.

Rhinelander, Wis. (November 19, 2018) – Start your holiday season with a fresh-cut, personally selected Christmas tree from the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest.

Holiday tree permits can be purchased at any Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest offices except the Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center. Permits are $5 per tree, with a maximum of five permits per household. Permits and maps may also be obtained by mail, however please allow for travel time through the mail.

Fourth-graders are eligible for a free Christmas tree permit through the Every Kid in a Park initiative. In order for students to receive a free tree permit, they must present a valid voucher printed from the Every Kid in a Park website.

Every Kid in a Park Tree Permit:

  1. Visit www.everykidinapark.gov and follow instructions to obtain the paper voucher.
  2. Print out the voucher.
  3. Bring the paper voucher to a U.S. Forest Service office near you to claim the free permit.

Every Kid in a Park is a national effort that encourages children to visit national parks, forests, public lands and waters. Fourth-graders represent the nation’s next generation of outdoor stewards of our country’s spectacular and diverse federal lands and waters. The Forest Service encourages fourth-graders and their families to take part in winter recreation on national forests, including harvesting a Christmas tree with their family.

Other forest products available by permit include balsam boughs, firewood, birch bark, and more. To learn more please contact the nearest District Ranger Office:

Eagle River (715) 479-2827
Florence (715) 528-4464
Lakewood (715) 276-6333
Laona (715) 674-4481
Glidden (715) 264-2511
Hayward (715) 634-4821
Washburn (715) 373-2667
Medford (715) 748-4875
Park Falls (715) 762-2461
Rhinelander (715) 362-1300

For more information about the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest please visit our website at www.fs.usda.gov/CNNF or follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/CNNF002 or like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/CNNF002


USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).