Recreation Passes & Permits

Which Pass Do I Need?

To make the best choice on which pass to purchase, you should think about your recreation plans for the next year. You have options such as buying a single day pass, a multi-day pass, or even an annual pass that covers a forest or region. If you plan to recreate in many different spots across the nation, an Interagency Annual Pass may be your best value. You may also qualify for one of the Interagency Lifetime Passes (Interagency Senior Pass or Interagency Access Pass).

Local Forest Pass

The Chequamegon-Nicolet charges a recreation user fee for many of its recreation sites. You may want to consider purchasing an annual recreation pass ahead of your visit to the Forest. The fee covers most high-use recreation areas and those areas where a substantial investment occurred to provide a recreation facility.

These areas include:

  • Developed Beaches
  • Developed Boat Launches
  • Trailhead Parking Areas
  • Developed Picnic Areas
  • Selected Remote Campsites

Not all of the areas mentioned above require a fee, but you should anticipate a fee at most of these types of areas. Fee areas are appropriately signed.

Please also note that campers paying a camping fee in a developed campground do not need to pay a user fee for use of all facilities associated with that campground. If you camp in a campground where there is also a beach and boat launch you have free use of that campground's associated facilities. You must pay a user fee if you go to another recreation site that is not part of that campground complex.

Green pass logo

Forest Annual Pass $20

Recreation Pass Price List

  • Annual Pass valid April 1 to March 31 of the following year: $20
  • 1 additional pass for second vehicle: $10
  • Day Use Pass: $5

If you have an Interagency Annual, Senior, Access or Volunteer Pass, there is no charge to use these day-use sites.

You can visit any Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest Office to purchase the annual pass. Or, you can mail your request to any office to receive a pass in the mail. When ordering by mail, include the following information:

Street Address
Zip Code
Vehicle License Number
Number of stickers at $20 each
Amount Enclosed

Make checks payable to: USDA Forest Service

Interagency Recreation Passes

There are four different Interagency Passes available.  All four passes are honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation and US Fish and Wildlife sites charging entrance or standard amenity fees.  Visit the National Passes & Permits Interagency Pass web site to decide which pass is right for you.