Recreation Passes & Permits

There are three main recreation passes on the Coconino National Forest:

  • America the Beautiful Interagency Pass
  • Red Rock Pass
  • Every Kid Outdoors Fourth Grader Pass

For events such as weddings, family reunions, and commercial activities, see Event/Commercial Permits.

America the Beautiful Interagency Recreation Passes

America The Beautiful - Senior PassAmerica The Beautiful - The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Annual Pass is available at most National Forest Service offices, National Park Service offices, and online at The USGS Store. The passes provide access to nearly all of the nation's parks, monuments, historical sites, and other public lands managed by the National Park System, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, Fish and Wildlife Service, and Forest Service. These passes are honored in Coconino National Forest's Red Rock Ranger District in lieu of the Red Rock Pass.

Learn more about the America The Beautiful Pass.

Red Rock Pass Program

Oak Creek courtesy of Tom Johnson The Red Rock Pass is a conservation tool designed to protect, enhance, and maintain awe-inspiring landscapes for the American public today and into the future. If you leave your vehicle while recreating at one of the fee sites, you must purchase a recreation pass. 

Fee Free Days The Coconino National Forest waives recreation pass fees to celebrate holidays. 

Every Kid Outdoors Fourth Grade Pass

Every Kid OutdoorsEvery Kid Outdoors - 4th Grade Pass to Federal Parks, Forests, Lands, and Waters As part of the nation's commitment to ensure every American has the opportunity to visit and enjoy our wildlife, resources, and history, the Every Kid Outdoors initiative allows fourth graders nationwide to obtain a pass for free entry for them and their families to more than 2,000 federally managed lands and waters nationwide for an entire year starting September 1. Vouchers may be redeemed in person at our offices. Like the America The Beautiful Pass, the Every Kid Outdoors pass can be used wherever the Red Rock Pass is accepted for parking and entry to Coconino National Forest fee sites.

Visit Every Kid Outdoors to learn how fourth graders can get their free pass.

Other Recreation Passes and Permits

  • Fossil Creek Wild and Scenic River: A parking permit is required during the busy season. Permits must be purchased in advance from See our Fossil Creek guide for dates, trail maps, and more
  • Lake Mary: Fees are required at the day-use picnic sites and boat launches on Upper and Lower Lake Mary during the busy season. These sites are run by a concessionaire. The concessionaire sells an annual pass on-site at their Lake Mary fee locations.
  • Casner Mountain Motorized Trail #8: A permit is required to drive large vehicles (62" or wider) on this trail. Permits are available to drive the trail May 16 and October 14. Call the Red Rock Ranger Station at 928-203-2900 for information.
  • Soldier Pass Road: A permit system is currently in place to provide members of the general public access to Soldier Pass Motorized Trail. This permit system will allow limited motorized access for up to 12 permits per day for unguided vehicles driven by the general public. Please call 1-877-444-6777 or visit for a permit.