It's a well-known secret that it does indeed snow in Arizona. Elevations above the Mogollon Rim typically receive enough snow to support skiing, snowshoeing, and other snowplay opportunities in the high country surrounding Flagstaff. The San Francisco Peaks, soaring to 12,633 feet at Humphrey's Peak, is home to the Arizona Snowbowl Ski Resort.
Winter Recreation Opportunities on or near the Coconino National Forest
Cross-Country Skiing & Snowshoeing
Downhill Skiing & Snowboarding
Sledding & Snowplay
- Flagstaff Snow Park
- Oak Hill Snowplay Area (area is unavailable)(Kaibab NF)
- Kendrick Snowmobile Trail System (area is unavailable)
- Mormon Lake/Pinewood Snowmobile Trail System (area is unavailable)
- Forest Snowmobile Map
CLOSURES & RESTRICTIONS
- Snowplay and parking on U.S. Highway 180 is prohibitted.
- Wing Mountain Snowplay Area is closed.
- Crowley Pit Snowplay Area is closed.
- Cinch Hook Pit Closure is closed to entry, including sledding and snowplay, year-round. Refer to Forest Order 04-18-01R: Cinch Hook Pit closure [PDF] for additional details.
Violation of this order is a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by a $5,000 fine and/or six months in jail.
- Winter Parking Restrictions Observe the "No Parking" signs. Parking along the shoulders on U.S. Highway 180 is prohibited.
A minimum $200 fine will be imposed by law enforcement for violations of the winter snow season parking ordinance.
Kachina Peaks Wilderness Resources
- Kachina Peaks Avalance Center: The San Francisco Peaks has 77 named avalanche zones. Keep an eye on the conditions and stay safe in the backcountry.
- San Francisco Peaks Recreational Forecast: Weather forecast specific to the San Francisco Peaks, with forecast temperatures and wind speed for various elevations, forecast discussion, and information from weather stations located on the mountain.
- Avalanche and Winter Safety on the Coconino National Forest: Tips and resources to help you prepare for outdoor recreation in Arizona's snowy high country.
- Also, see the City of Flagstaff's Winter in Flagstaff page for more winter fun activities and destinations around Flagstaff.