United States Census 2020

Federal funding shapes many different aspects of every community, no matter the size or location. The United States Census results help determine how funding is allocated for programs to support rural areas, restore wildlife and prepare for wildfires. Learn more about the benefits to the following programs:

National Fire Plan

The Wildland Urban Interface Community Fire Assistance Program was developed to implement the National Fire Plan and assist communities at risk from catastrophic wildland fires by providing assistance in the following areas:

  • Provide community programs that develop local capability including potential hazard assessment and planning, mitigation activities, and community and homeowner education and action plans;
  • Plan and implement hazardous fuels reduction activities, including the training, monitoring or maintenance associated with such hazardous fuels reduction activities, on federal land, or on adjacent nonfederal land for activities that mitigate the threat of catastrophic fire to communities and natural resources in high risk areas;
  • Enhance local and small business employment opportunities for rural communities;
  • Enhance the knowledge and fire protection capability of rural fire districts by providing assistance in education and training, protective clothing and equipment purchase, and mitigation methods on a cost share basis.

Emergency Watershed Protection Program (Click to expand)

The Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program, a federal emergency recovery program through the Natural Resources Conservation Service, helps local communities recover after natural disasters strike. The program offers technical and financial assistance to help local communities relieve imminent threats to life and property caused by floods, fires, windstorms and other natural disasters that impair watersheds.

The EWP Program allows communities to quickly address serious and long-lasting damages to infrastructure and to the land. The EWP Program authorities offer NRCS the flexibility to act quickly to help local communities cope with adverse impacts resulting from natural disasters.

Assistance to Firefighters Grant (Click to expand)

The Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) was developed to meet the firefighting and emergency response needs of fire departments and nonaffiliated emergency medical service organizations. Since 2001, AFG has helped firefighters and other first responders obtain critically needed equipment, protective gear, emergency vehicles, training and other resources necessary for protecting the public and emergency personnel from fire and related hazards.

Fire Management Assistance Grant (Click to expand)

Fire management assistance is available to states, local and tribal governments for the mitigation, management, and control of fires on publicly or privately-owned forests or grasslands which threaten such destruction as would constitute a major disaster. The Fire Management Assistance declaration process is initiated when a State submits a request for assistance to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) at the time a "threat of major disaster" exists. The entire process is accomplished on an expedited basis and a FEMA decision is rendered in a matter of hours.

The Fire Management Assistance Grant(FMAG) Program provides a 75 percent Federal cost share and the State pays the remaining 25 percent for actual costs. Eligible firefighting costs may include expenses for field camps; equipment use, repair and replacement; tools, materials and supplies; and mobilization and demobilization activities.

What is the 2020 United States Census?

The 2020 United States Census counts every person living in the 50 states, District of Columbia, and five U.S. territories. Each home will receive an invitation by April 1, 2020 to respond to a short questionnaire — online, by phone or by mail.

Census results help determine how billions of dollars in federal funding flow into states and communities each year.

United States Census 2020

Ways to Respond

By April 1, 2020, every home will receive an invitation to participate in the 2020 Census. You will have three options for responding:

  • Online
  • Phone
  • Mail

In mid-March, households will begin receiving official Census Bureau mail with detailed information on how to respond to the 2020 Census.

Important Dates





https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coronado/home/?cid=FSEPRD704117