Porcupine Ibex Trail Opens October 11th
Release Date: Oct 9, 2019
Contact(s): Marna Daley, 406-587-6703
Livingston, MT – The newly constructed Porcupine Ibex Trail on the west side of the Crazy Mountains will open to the public on October 11th, 2019, in time for the Montana Youth Hunt and general season. The trail, located north of Livingston, Montana on the Yellowstone Ranger District, includes 2.7 miles of new trail construction to connect the Porcupine Cabin Trailhead to the North Fork Elk Creek Trail #195 and to secure long term public access to this area.
The trail, open to foot, horse, and mountain bicycles, connects Elk Creek and Trespass Creek drainages and provides access to Campfire Lake. The Forest Service no longer asserts a claim to a Forest System trail on the route depicted in previous visitor maps as the Porcupine Lowline Trail. The Porcupine Lowline Trail will not be depicted in future maps.
Custer Gallatin Forest Supervisor Mary Erickson said, “We are excited to have completed the first phase of this trail relocation giving recreationists and hunters access into the Elk Creek drainage this fall. Providing long-term secured access into this portion of the Crazy Mountains is a significant accomplishment and benefit to the public. We look forward to the completion of the trail that will provide connectivity between the Porcupine and Ibex Cabins. This project not only provides a great recreation opportunity but also demonstrates what is possible when people work together to find common solutions. We hope you enjoy using this new portion of the trail.”
For more information about trail construction please call the Yellowstone Ranger District at (406) 222-1892.
Alerts & Warnings
- Closures on Sourdough Canyon and Leverich Canyon Trails Begin Nov.16th
- Pryor Caves Seasonal Area Closure
- Beartooth Ranger District Road and Trail Closures 01-11-82-23-05
- East Rosebud Road 2177 and East Rosebud Trail 15_Closure 01-11-82-23-03
- 01-11-04-23-03 Yellowstone Ranger District Camping Area Closure
- Road 478 Closure (South Fork Madison Road) 01-11-07-23-01
- Woody Creek Road Closure
- Hyalite Target Shooting Closure
- Road #3089, Closure, Sioux Ranger District
- McConnell Fishing Access and Beattie Gulch Area Shooting Closures
- Hyalite Drainage Proposed Permanent Recreational Target Shooting Restriction