Forest Products Passes & Permits

Personal Use Firewood Permits


Attn:  Fee Waived Personal Use Firewood Permits, call to have free permit mailed - Read full release here



$6.00 / cord (4 cord minimum)firewood stacked and cut

Firewood permits can be purchased at:

  • For 2020 Calendar year - by calling any Custer Gallatin National Forest Ranger District Office, permit will be mailed or other arrangement. 


  • 4 cord minimum, 12 cord maximum
  • Dead down trees and logs as well as standing dead trees unless reserved from cutting
  • 6 foot maximum length
  • Recommended firewood collection is between May and October
  • Chainsaws must be equipped with approved spark arrestor screen
  • During fire season (May 1 – Sept 30) all vehicles on NFS (National Forest System) lands must be equipped with a baffled muffler, serviceable tailpipe and should contain operable fire extinguisher (2.5 lb capacity, 4BC rating).
  • On site when collecting firewood:  Shovel (45 inches long with minimum 6 inch blade), fire extinguisher (liquid/8 ounce capacity or dry chemical/ 1 lb capacity).


Additional Information:

Permit season runs from April 1 to March 31. Permits for cutting firewood are available for purchase at all Custer Gallatin Ranger District offices.

Firewood permits can be purchased at any National Forest Service office in Region One for cutting on any National Forest in Montana and Northern Idaho that has firewood gathering available, and on some Bureau of Land Management lands.

Measurements, example cord of firewood

Permit holders should stop at local Forest offices to obtain appropriate local maps and local rules.  

Permits are non-transferable.  Keep on your person while gathering/transporting firewood.



Christmas Tree Permits


Lit Christmas Tree in Forest with string of lights

$5 / tree


  • Limit three permits per household
  • Permits are good Forest-wide, except at campgrounds, trailheads, Wilderness Areas, and areas where trees have been planted for reforestation purposes.
  • Sold during November & December at district offices and local vendors. 


Personal Use Post and Pole


Personal Use Post and Pole permits will be sold on a first come, first served basis in the spring. The location of the post and pole units will be given each year along with the authorized time for removal.

Available through Beartooth Ranger District, Yellowstone Ranger District (Livingston office) or Musselshell Ranger District (Lewis and Clark National Forest, Harlowton, MT) 

  • Beartooth District at:  406-446-2103
  • Yellowstone Ranger District, Livingston office at:  406-222-1892.
  • Lewis and Clark National Forest, Musselshell Ranger District, Harlowton, MT. Contact 406- 632-4391


Landscape Rock and Petrified Wood Collection Permits


Permit Required (no charge)

Must contact respective ranger district for additional information.


  • 20 cubic inches (approx. 3” x 3” x 2”) of petrified wood per person, per calendar year
  • Collection only within the boundaries of the Gallatin Petrified Forest Special Management Zone
  • Expires December 31 of the year issued
  • Landscape Rock personal use permits are free and limited to 1 ton per person, unless otherwise specified.