Rules and Regulations

Rules and RegulationsAll users of national forests are subject to federal and state regulations. As a visitor to the national forest, you must follow certain rules and regulations designed to ensure your health and safety, to protect the forest, and to promote pleasant outdoor experiences for everyone.

Rules: Dispersed Camping Rules: Developed Camping Rules: Trails Rules: Picnic Areas Rules: Wilderness
Rules: Shooting Rules: Camping Stay Limits Rules: Horse Riding and Camping Rules: OHV Trails Rules: Boat Ramps

Supervisor's Orders

Supervisor's Orders

Forest Supervisors and Regional Foresters issue orders that will close or restrict the use of certain areas if the need arises, often for public health and safety or to protect resources. Some are temporary closures that are rescinded at a later date; others are more permanent and are reissued every five years. These orders are available at Forest Service offices and on the forest website. They are in pdf format and will include a map of the area affected by the order. View Supervisor's Orders on the Daniel Boone. You may contact either the Supervisor's Office or District Office

Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources

Kentucky Fish and Wildlife

Other rules that originate from various state and federal regulations are enforced in this area. This is particularly true in the case of traffic, boating, hunting, fishing and trapping. The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources can provide state rules and regulations. Most of these are available in the Hunting and Fishing Guide, published yearly.  State traffic laws also apply, so check with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet for traffic regulations.

Code of Federal Regulations for National Forests

Code of Federal Regulations

The full set is published in Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property of the Code of Federal Regulations, available at Forest Service offices. These regulations are updated every year.

Violations are punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual and $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six months, or both.

See 16 U.S.C. 551, 18 U.S.C. 3559 and 3571.

What to do if you get a ticket

If you have any questions, ask the officer issuing the citation about when and where to appear. Below is the information appearing on the back of the citation.

A. If BOX A is checked on the face of your citation, YOU MUST APPEAR IN COURT on the date and time and place shown. If no date and time and place are shown then you will be notified by mail of when and where to appear.

B. IF BOX B is checked on the face of your citation, YOU MUST DO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

PAY THE COLLATORAL AMOUNT SPECIFIED If you wish to terminate your case WITHOUT HAVING TO APPEAR IN COURT, mail your personal check, money order, or credit card information in the envelope provided to the address printed on the front within 21 days for the full amount of the collateral specified. DO NOT MAIL CASH. Write the citation number and location from the top front portion of the violation notice on your check or money order and make payable to CENTRAL VIOLATIONS BUREAU. If you are charged with a motor vehicle violation, a record of your payment of collateral may be reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles of your state.  OR.....

PLEAD NOT GUILTY AND PROMISE TO APPEAR AS REQUIRED. If the officer has written on the face of the form a date, time and place for a court hearing, you must appear before a federal magistrate judge at that time. If no court date, time and place is shown, this information will be provided to you by mail. If you have not received a "Notice to Appear" within 4 days, call the Central Violations Bureau at 1-800-827-2982. You must notify CVB at the above number of any change of address.


If you do not pay the collateral amount, and if you fail to appear in court at the date and time scheduled for you, THE UNITED STATE DISTRICT COURT MAY ISSUE A SUMMONS ORDERING YOUR APPEARANCE OR ISSUE A WARRANT FOR YOUR ARREST. If you are charged with a motor vehicle violation, THE COURT MAY ALSO REPORT YOUR NON-COMPLIANCE TO THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES OF YOUR STATE, which may affect your driving and/or registration privileges. Furthermore, THE COURT MAY INCREASE YOUR FINE OR IMPOSE ADDITIONAL PENALTIES. Any fine or collateral assessed is paid directly to the U.S. Treasury.