Public Use Restrictions FAQs

What are Public Use Restrictions?

Public Use Restrictions are measures put in place to reduce the risk of a wildfire starting when fire danger is extreme. These restrictions are always carefully considered before being implemented because the intent is not to ruin someone’s vacation, but to improve the safety of our public lands and resources.

Restrictions can affect where you are allowed to smoke, the types of roads you can travel, and where – or even if - you are allowed to have a campfire.

How can Public Use Restrictions affect travel?

Burned vehicle in fire zoneOn unmaintained dirt roads, often called “two-track” roads, the grass and brush that may grow down the center can dry out and be an extreme fire risk.

Vehicles traveling along these roads can pick up this vegetation under their vehicles where it can quickly ignite.

Travel restrictions limit access to these types of roads. The public will still have access to maintained dirt roads or paved roads, and people will still have access to their private property.

How do I know if I can have a campfire?

Roasting marshmallows and hot dogs are part of the camping experience – but sometimes the risk of a wildfire outweighs the benefit of being able to sit around a toasty fire singing songs and eating s’mores.

Agency administrators carefully consider the fire risk before implementing a campfire closure – and their intent is never to ruin your camping experience.

Call ahead or check websites to find out if restrictions are in place, and always have an alternate cooking source (such as a gas or propane stove) with you. Call 1-800-523-4737 for more information.

Fireworks are always illegal on federal lands in Central Oregon!

Fireworks restrictions vary from city to city throughout central Oregon, but they are ALWAYS illegal on federal lands. Remember: possessing, discharging or using any kind of firework or other pyrotechnic device on public lands is against the law.