Passes & Permits

Recreation Passes & Permits

Recreation Passes & Permits: In Washington and Oregon some national forest recreation sites require a day use fee.  This section includes information about where fees are charged and which passes may be used to cover these fees.

Your recreation fees are used to fund numerous projects on the Deschutes and Ochoco National Forests.

Forest Products Permits

Forest Products are forest resources not associated with traditional timber products but are used for personal, commercial, and scientific purposes. Examples include: firewood, Christmas trees, transplants, cones, posts & poles, tree boughs, mushrooms, and ornamental cuttings.

For some products, personal use permits are free. For other products, or for commercial use, a fee is charged.

In 2020, the Deschutes and Ochoco National Forest and Crooked River National Grassland will offer free personal use firewood cutting without the need to obstain a normal permit from May 1-November 30. The firewood cutting season on the Deschutes National Forest runs from the first Monday in May through the last day in November.

2020 Firewood Synopsis & Maps

Event/Commercial Permits

A special use permit is required when you ask for special privileges on National Forest land. Examples include gatherings of 75 people or more, operating a business, using the Forest for financial gain, and commercial filming.

Go to Event/Commercial Permits

Other Permits

This section includes information on permits for other uses such as electrical easements, minerals, etc.

Go to Other Permits

Please contact the appropriate Forest Service Office for information on permits that are not listed in the sections above.