Passes & Permits

Recreation Passes & Permits

Recreation Passes & Permits: In Washington and Oregon some national forest recreation sites require a day use fee.  This section includes information about where fees are charged and which passes may be used to cover these fees.

Your recreation fees are used to fund numerous projects on the Deschutes and Ochoco National Forests.

Forest Products Permits

Forest Products are forest resources not associated with traditional timber products but are used for personal, commercial, and scientific purposes. Examples include: firewood, Christmas trees, transplants, cones, posts & poles, tree boughs, mushrooms, and ornamental cuttings.

For some products, personal use permits are free. For other products, or for commercial use, a fee is charged.

Christmas Tree Permits can now be purchased at

While many of the permit requirements were waived in 2020, the public will again be required to purchase firewood permits and tag their loaded firewood with those permits in 2021. Permits can be purchased for $10 per cord with a two cord minimum from a variety of Central Oregon vendors. Firewood season will begin May 1 and last through the end of November.

For all the information you need for 2021 Firewood Permits click here.

Event/Commercial Permits

A special use permit is required when you ask for special privileges on National Forest land. Examples include gatherings of 75 people or more, operating a business, using the Forest for financial gain, and commercial filming.

Go to Event/Commercial Permits

Other Permits

This section includes information on permits for other uses such as electrical easements, minerals, etc.

Go to Other Permits

Please contact the appropriate Forest Service Office for information on permits that are not listed in the sections above.