Recreation Passes & Permits

View a list of recreation sites in Oregon and Washington where day use fees may be charged.

Are there any Free Days? Fees are waived at Forest Service-managed day use sites to celebrate specific events.

Question Mark with Question textWhat types of recreation passes are available and how do I decide?

Northwest Forest Passes (Oregon & Washington)

  • Day Pass

    [IMAGE: Day ePass and National Forest Recreation Day Pass]

    Day ePass and National Forest Day Pass ($5) - Day use pass honored at all Forest Service operated recreation sites in Washington and Oregon where a day use fee is required.

    Buy ePass - (Print at home. *Must be printed within 2 days of purchase.)  

  • Annual Pass

    [IMAGE: Annual Northwest Forest Pass.  Click for More Information on Annual Northwest Forest Pass]

    ($30) - Annual pass honored at all Forest Service operated recreation sites in Washington and Oregon where a day use fee is required.

Interagency Passes

Top of page

  • 4th Grade Pass

    Child using a magnifying glass on plants.

    Free for current 4th grade students.

  • Annual Pass

    Graphic of the Annual Recreation Pass

    ($80) -  For anyone to purchase, valid for 12 months.

  • Senior Lifetime Pass

    A mountain goat crossing a stream.

    ($80) -  For those age 62 or older. Valid for the lifetime of the passholder.

  • Annual Senior Pass

    Graphic image of Senior Annual Pass

    ($20) - For those age 62 or older. Valid for one year from month of purchase. A Senior Annual Pass may be applied towards the purchase of a Senior Lifetime Pass. 

  • Access Pass

    An owl flies low over a field

    (Free)  -  For those with a permanent disability.

    • Military Annual & Lifetime Passes

      A placeholder image

      (Free in person; $10 processing fee for online) Annual Pass: Available to Current U.S. Military and Dependents. Valid for 12 months. Lifetime Pass: Available to Gold Star Families and Veterans. Valid for pass holder's lifetime.

    Vendor Locations

    • Local Vendor Locations

      A placeholder image

      Check out one of our local vendors to purchase a pass! Vendors do not typically stock all pass options. If you're looking for a specific pass option you may want to call ahead to see if they carry your preferred pass.

    Local Passes & Permits

    • Day Use Digital Pass

      A placeholder image

      Purchase a digital day use pass for Deschutes National Forest recreation sites. If purchasing your pass on-site, no printed copy of the pass will be available. Instead, your license plate number will be used to confirm compliance. If purchasing a pass in advance, a printed copy of the pass is recommended for your vehicle as connectivity is limited.

    • Central Cascade Wilderness Permit

      A placeholder image

      From the June 15 to October 15, Central Cascade Wilderness Permits are required for day use at 19 trailheads and for all overnight use within these three areas; Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Washington and the Three Sisters Wildernesses.

    • Newberry National Volcanic Monument 3-Day Pass

      A placeholder image

      This pass covers day use fees at the following Monument sites only; Lava Lands Visitor Center, Lava Butte Interpretive Site, Benham Falls East Day Use Area, Lava River Cave, Lava Cast Forest Day Use Interpretive Site and all of the day use sites in Newberry Caldera.

    • Holders of a Golden Age and Golden Access Passports and Senior and Access Passes are entitled to the following discounts on expanded amenity recreation fees:
      • A 50 percent discount on the fee for a single camping unit. This discount does not apply to use of a cabin, lookout, double camping unit, triple camping unit, group camping unit, extra vehicle fees, or any additional camping units and separately charged utility, water, hook-up or day use fees.
    • The passes listed above do not cover campground fees. 
    • Operating an Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) on public land requires an Oregon OHV permit. This is in addition to any forest passes or fees that may be required.
    • Sno-Park Permit - The Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) requires a Sno-Park Permit to park at designated sno-parks from November 1 through April 30. Learn more about the Oregon Sno-Park program here: