10 Ways to Minimize Your Impact with an ATV
- Stay only on roads, trails or other areas designated for ATV use.
- Try to stay in the middle of the trail to avoid widening it.
- Cross streams only at designated fording points, where the trail crosses the stream. Approach the stream slowly, crossing at a 90-degree angle.
- On switchbacks, avoid roosting around the apex of the turn when climbing or brake-sliding during descent, both of which gouge the trail.
- On slick trails, moderate the throttle and use the clutch to gain maximum traction with minimum wheel-spin.
- Try to avoid muddy trails, save them for future trips when they are dry.
- Pack out what you pack in. Carry a trash bag on your vehicle and pick up litter left by others.
- Following a ride, wash your ATV and support vehicle to avoid spreading noxious weeds the next time you ride.
- Observe proper human waste disposal. Bury your waste at least six inches deep and camouflage the hole or pack out your waste.
- Take an ATV training course to maximize safety. Always wear a helmet, eye protection and other safety gear.
Tread Lightly! provides additional tips and materials at http://www.treadlightly.org.