National Forest Visitor Maps
National Forest Visitor Maps provide an overview of recreational uses, trails, roads, streams, lakes, landforms, land administration, visitor centers, facilities, campgrounds and picnic areas.
- Guide to Your National Forests and Grasslands: www.fs.usda.gov/sites/default/ files/guide-to-your-national-forests-small-2018.pdf
- USFS Maps: www.fs.usda.gov/visit/maps
National Forest maps also display color photographs of points of interest and activities. The 18 National Forests are mapped at the scale of 1/2 inch per mile (1:126,720).
To purchase a hard copy map:
- You can purchase National Forest Visitor Maps through our partner organization, The Eldorado National Forest Interpretive Association (ENFIA).
- You may also purchase National Forest Visitor Maps online through the U.S. Geological Survey Store.
- In general, forest visitor and other kinds of maps can be purchased at most Eldorado National Forest Offices.
Dynamic / Interactive Maps
FS Interactive Visitor Map: www.fs.usda.gov/ivm/.
This interactive map supplements the corresponding motor vehicle use map (MVUM) by displaying on detailed color maps the National Forest System (NFS) roads, NFS trails, and areas on NFS lands that are designated for motor vehicle use on that MVUM, as well as nearby points of interest.
Digital Maps for Mobile Devices
The Avenza Mobile App is available as a free download from AppStore or Google Play. Use your device’s built-in GPS to track your location on any map, plot locations and photos, measure distance and area, and more. Easily browse and purchase maps from all over the world through the Avenza Map Store—online or in-app. The app provides access to Forest Service maps, such as motor-vehicle-use maps, which are free while pages from national forest atlases are 99 cents and forest visitor maps are $4.99. Prices are pending for other agency maps.
- Select this link to find our maps for your Avenza PDF App.
- To find Region 5 maps: www.avenzamaps.com/vendor/169/us-forest-service-r5/
- Main website: www.avenza.com/avenza-maps/
Wilderness and Topographic Maps
- Wilderness Maps are topographic maps that show natural features such as mountains, valleys, plains, lakes, rivers, and vegetation using contour lines depicting elevation gain or loss. Each map covers all or part of one wilderness area and the scale is generally 1 inch per mile (1:63,360). Twenty-Eight wilderness maps are available for purchase through the U.S. Geological Survey Store.
- FSTopo is the Forest Service series of large scale topographic maps. FSTopo maps are 7.5 minute, 1:24,000-scale over the conterminous United States, and 15 minute X 20-22.5 minute, 1:63,360-scale over Alaska. These maps are available for download at Forest Service Topography Maps.
Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)
The Motor Vehicle Use Map displays National Forest System routes (roads and trails) or areas designated open to motorized travel. The Motor Vehicle Use Map also displays uses allowed by vehicle class (highway-legal vehicles, vehicles less than 50 inches wide and motorcycles), and seasonal allowances.
Forest Service Data To Make Your Own Maps
FSGeodata Clearinghouse: https://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/
The USDA Forest Service Geodata Clearinghouse is an online collection of digital data related to forest resources. Through the Clearinghouse you can find datasets related to forests and grasslands, including boundaries and ownership, natural resources, roads and trails, as well as datasets related to State and private forested areas, including insect and disease threat and surface water importance. You can also find downloadable map products, raster data, and links to other sources of forest resource information.
FSTopo Map Products https://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/rastergateway/states-regions/states.php
FSTopo is the Forest Service Primary Base Map Series (1:24,000 scale for the lower 48 and Puerto Rico, 1:63,360 for Alaska) quadrangle maps. FSTopo products cover the US Forest Service lands. Quadrangle maps not included in the FSTopo Series may be obtained from the Map Locator & Downloader on the USGS Store or the USGS TNM Download page.
USDA Data: Web page Link
USFS data via DATA.GOV
Geospatial data and services, provided via the Geospatial Platform, a Federal Geographic Data Committee initiative.
ArcGIS Online: www.arcgis.com/index.html
A 3rd party company. Free personal accounts are available. To find USFS data for an ArcGIS Online map, in the search string, add owner:USFSEnterpriseContent. This will give you the authoritative Forest Service data direct.
California State Geoportal: gis.data.ca.gov/
State of California GIS data clearinghouse.
Alerts & Warnings
- Mokelumne Wilderness Year-Round Fire Restrictions
- Wrights Tie Road Closure begins September 5th
- Sunset & Fashoda Campgrounds, Sunset Boat Ramp Closed Beginning Sept. 5, 2023
- Temporary Closures - Pony Express Trail
- Fire Restrictions
- Temporary Recreation Site Closures in the Crystal Basin
- Hell Hole & French Meadows Access