Special Places Overview
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom.”
Check out some of the unique areas on the Eldorado National Forest!
Desolation Wilderness is located along the crest of the Sierras north of Highway 50 between Sacramento and South Lake Tahoe.
Mokelumne Wilderness lies within portions of Calaveras, Alpine, and Amador Counties and is bordered by State Highway 4 on
Celebrating Wildflowers is dedicated to the enjoyment of the thousands of wildflowers growing on our national forests and grasslands, and to educating the public about the many values of native plants.
Wildflower viewing areas for the Eldorado National Forest...
- Caples Creek Trail
- Lyons Creek Trail
- Rock Creek Road
- Thunder Mountain Trail
- Traverse Creek Botanical Special Interest Area
Alerts & Warnings
- Mokelumne Wilderness Year-Round Fire Restrictions
- Wrights Tie Road Closure begins September 5th
- Sunset & Fashoda Campgrounds, Sunset Boat Ramp Closed Beginning Sept. 5, 2023
- Temporary Closures - Pony Express Trail
- Fire Restrictions
- Temporary Recreation Site Closures in the Crystal Basin
- Hell Hole & French Meadows Access