Special Forest Products COVID-19 Update

Free and charge use permits can be obtained by contacting forest offices Mon-Fri (8 am – 4:30 pm):

  • Cowlitz Valley Ranger District: (360) 497-1100; Walk up window service open for forest product permits only. Please wear a mask.
  • Mt. Adams Ranger District: (509) 395-3402; Walk up window service for all sales, seven days a week 8am-4:30pm through Labor Day and weekdays thereafter. Please wear a mask.
  • Mount St. Helens: For forest product permits call (360) 449-7800, payments are taken over the phone and permits are mailed same or next day.

Customers can call the forest office they are interested in obtaining a permit from and request the type of permit they want. When free or charge use permits are mailed, the effective date on the permit will be postdated 3-7 days from the date permit is processed and mailed to customer. This allows time for permit to be delivered to customer through the mail before the effective date on the permit starts. 

View information about free and charge use special forest product permits and what forest products are available.

Mushrooms and Huckleberrie Free Use: Free use permits for personal use remain available on-line https://apps.fs.usda.gov/gp.  *Free, personal use huckleberry permits are only available online.

Charge Use Permits: Payment for charge use permits can be made via credit/debit card, check or money order (no cash).  For payments made via credit/debit card, the permit can be processed and mailed once all needed information is gathered over the phone. If payment is going to be made with a check or money order, the customer will be given verbal instructions over the phone for requesting a permit. Customer will need to send a letter requesting to purchase a permit and include payment (check or money order) with the letter. Once request and payment are received, the permit can be processed and mailed. 

Free use permits can be processed and mailed once information is gathered over the phone. 

Firewood: Charge Use Firewood permits are available by mail. Permit application and instructions are online: http://www.fs.usda.gov/goto/gp/firewood

The following vendors sell firewood permits & vendors in Carson, Home Valley and Stevenson locations are also issuing free use mushroom permits:

Home Valley Store, 509-427-4105 (Firewood, Mushroom)
Wind River Market, Carson, 509-427-5565 (Firewood, Mushroom)
Main St. Convenience Store, Stevenson, 509-427-5653 (Firewood, Mushroom)
Chelatchie Prairie General Store, Amboy, 360-247-5529 (Firewood only)