Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue. On-going operational updates will be posted here (https://www.fs.fed.us/shutdown) as we are able to provide them.


Mount St. Helens Climbing Permits Resume Sales on Feb 26 at 9:00 a.m. PST

Thank you for your continued interest in 2018 Mount St. Helens climbing permits and for your patience with the permit transaction and purchasing process. We experienced major technical difficulties on February 1st due to extreme demand (300% greater than 2017) and had to suspend the permit purchasing system. We're truly sorry for the frustrations and inconveniences everyone experienced on February 1st.

The Mount St. Helens Institute has established a new date and time for further permit sales. Remaining climbing permits will go on sale Monday, February 26th at 9:00 a.m. PST. We will be utilizing the services of a new transaction processor.

We are very appreciative of the hard work and dedication of our partner, Discover Your Northwest, over two years of permit sales. However, the unprecedented and unpredictable increase in demand experienced in 2018 requires the services of a provider that can accommodate this scale of demand. 

Approximately 20% of 2018 permits were successfully purchased on February 1st, leaving 80% still available for purchase on February 26th. Keep in mind that the demand for permits is greater than the supply so there is no guarantee of securing your preferred date(s) or number of climbing permits. Please plan accordingly.

All completed transactions for 2018 permits are still valid. If on February 1st you tried to place an order, got as far as the shopping cart, and the order failed, that order has been lost. You will have to try again once permits are on sale again on February 26th. We know how frustrating this is and are very sorry, but there is no way to go back and rescue those orders.

The Mount St. Helens Institute recognizes how frustrating and time-consuming this process has been for those wishing to purchase permits. Resolving these issues and improving the process for everyone is our highest priority.



Ray Yurkewycz

Executive Director

Mount St. Helens Institute