Weddings and Non-commercial Group Use

Non-commercial group use permits are for an activity that:

  1. Involves 75 or more people including spectators,
  2. Where an entry or participate fee is not charged, and
  3. Where the primary purpose is not the sale of a good or service (36CFR251.51).

Keep this is mind, whether your gathering requires a permit or not:

People cooking outside a log building with other waiting in line.
  • Access for the general public to sites, trails, and/or roads must be maintained (no area may be closed or cordoned off).  
  • Wedding ceremonies may not be officiated by individuals who are paid for their services; this is a commercial service widely available off of National Forest System land. 
  • No vendors or food trucks or carts are allowed.
  • No excessive noise or public address systems near a campsite, developed recreation site or over an adjacent body of water.
  • Throwing objects, including rice, birdseed, confetti, or lanterns or the release of helium balloons is prohibited.  
  • Decorations such as crepe paper and balloons are prohibited. 
  • All litter must be disposed of properly.
  • Expect to have contact with members of the recreating public during your gathering, especially at popular sites. 
  • Plan your event early or late in the day at developed sites to avoid peak visitation and congestion times (before 11 am and after 4 pm, April through September). 


Brittany Clegg, Recreation Special Use Coordinator