Permits For A Fee

Please purchase a permit when: 

  • you intend to sell the product or use the product in an item you intend to sell.
  • harvesting more forest products than permitted under a Free Use Permit.  

Charge Use Permit

The Gifford Pinchot National Forest issues 'Charge Use' permits for the products in the Charge Use Product Summary Table. Check with the local Gifford Pinchot National Forest Office for the availability of the product. Some products are not available on every Ranger District.

There are several requirements associated with Charge Use Permits:

Personal Requirements:

  • You must purchase your permit in person from any Gifford Pinchot National Forest Office or authorized vendors. Check with district offices for a list of current vendors and permit types they sell.
  • The Forest does not issue permits online, by phone, by email or by fax, with the exception of firewood permits.  Click here for more information about firewood permits.
  • You must be at least 18 years old in order to get a permit and provide government-issued ID. 
  • Permits are issued to individuals, so each person gathering a product must have a permit.
  • You must have the permit in your immediate possession while gathering and transporting your forest product.

Permit Basics:

  •  Required when quantity or value of product gathered exceeds the amount allowed under Free Use.
  • Additional limits to quantity of products may also apply.
  • You must leave your work site and any campsites in a clean and sanitary condition. Please follow the principles of Leave No Trace.
  • The time that you have to harvest a product varies by district; inquire at your nearest Gifford Pinchot National Forest Office.

Can I sell Product gathered with a Charge Use Permit?

  • Yes, you may sell products gathered with a charge use permit.  However, not every product is available with a Charge Use permit. Different forest products also have different quantities allowed with the Charge Use permit.