MVUM Frequently Asked Questions

More about MVUMs.....

  •  MVUMs display designated National Forest System roads and trails or areas designated open to motorized travel.

  • MVUMs display designated routes by vehicle class (highway-legal vehicles, vehicles less than 50 inches wide and motorcycles), and time of year .

  • MVUMs display seasonal allowances on designated routes and provides information on other travel rules and regulations.

  • The MVUM is a black and white map with no topographic features.

  • It is not a stand alone map and is best used in conjunction with a Forest Visitor Map or other topographic map.

  • The MVUM is free to the public and available at each local Ranger District office and at the Delta Supervisor’s Office.

  • The MVUM is available on this website and sections of it may be printed from your home computer.

  • MVUMs will be updated annually to correct mapping errors or discrepancies and update travel decisions.

  • MVUMs are now available with mobile device (ipad, iPhone, iPod Touch or Android (4.0.3 or newer). More on geo-referenced maps.

  • Please review Motorized Travel Rules for OHV use on the GMUG National Forest 

Where can I get a MVUM?
Maps will be posted on this website and on the internet at both the Rocky Mountain Region and National Forest Service websites. Paper copies of these maps will be available free of charge at each of the Forest Service offices in Norwood, Montrose, Grand Junction, Delta, Paonia, and Gunnison. Other partners and distribution locations may be developed over time to help disseminate maps.

How do I print the MVUM?
A full-size version of the MVUM is 34" x 44" and cannot be printed on conventional home printers. A full-size version can only be printed from a large plotter. Many local engineering and survey business can print the map for a nominal fee.
To be readable, only a portion of the MVUM can be printed on 8 ½" x 11" paper using home printers. With Adobe Acrobat, use the “Print Current View” function to print the view on your screen. It is recommended that the legend box be printed to aid in interpretation of the MVUM.

Are MVUMs geo-referenced?
Yes,  MVUMs are available as geospatial PDFs which have geo-referenced location information like latitude and longitude coordinates embedded in them. These can be downloaded FREE to your mobile devices (smartphone or tablet and some GPS units) and then, using an app like PDF Maps from Avenza, you can use your device's built-in GPS to track your location on the map. Only MVUMs can be downloaded free. Other map downloads have a fee from 99 cents to $4.99. (More on geo-referenced PDF maps and mobile devices)

What does a MVUM show me?
The map displays all NFS roads, trails and designated areas allowing public motor vehicle use.
Motorized use includes but is not limited to Motorcycles, ATV’s, and 4-wheel drive vehicles.
Designation details, including vehicle class, time of year, and any motorized access for the purpose of dispersed camping (camping in locations other than campgrounds).
The MVUM also shows roads where only highway-legal vehicles are allowed because of user safety considerations. On the Grand Mesa these include Lands End, the Mesa Lakes Recreation Area and any paved road unless otherwise exempted.
Motor vehicle access may occur on routes not shown on the MVUM for the purpose of limited administrative access by Forest Service personnel; for fire and law enforcement for emergency purposes and; by persons authorized by a written special use permit or contract from the Forest Service.

Does the MVUM also show mechanized and non-motorized trails and over-snow vehicle uses?
No, a visitor use map or recreation opportunity map will provide information on motorized routes as well as non-motorized routes, including mechanized trails, hiking, and horse trails. Over-snow vehicle use is exempted from designations on the MVUM. These maps, once developed, will be available for purchase at FS offices.

What do you mean by vehicle class?
By vehicle class we are referring to certain categories of motorized vehicles. The following are typical vehicle class route designations:
Roads open to highway legal vehicles only
Roads open to all vehicles (licensed and unlicensed)
Trails open to vehicles 50 inches or less in width (ATV, motorcycle, etc.)
Trails open to all (full size) vehicles (trails may be rugged and narrow- intended for jeeps)
Trails open to motorcycles only (single track)
It’s important to understand that routes and areas shown open to certain vehicle classes does not mean they are maintained for or suitable for travel using those vehicles. It simply means it is legal to use them. For example, many low standard roads may be open to all motor vehicles. This designation includes passenger cars, although it may not be prudent to drive this type of vehicle on the route due to the condition of the surface or during inclement weather.

What do you mean by a season allowance?
Some routes or areas may be open only during certain times of the year for various reasons such as to reduce wildlife disturbance, protect users from unsafe or impassable conditions and to reduce impacts to other resource values.

Are there road and trail route marker signs on the ground?
Routes designated for motorized use may not always be signed. In some cases, a route marker may exist at the entrance of the road/trail with symbols indicating which classes of vehicles are allowed. Routes designated for motorized uses will be identified on the MVUM. The MVUM is an enforcement tool to ensure individuals are on the correct route. It is the responsibility of the user to determine if they are on a route designated for the motor vehicle being used. MVUM's will be developed for each forest nationwide. It is not only a tool for motorized users, but also a consistent and standardized law enforcement tool.

Quick Links