Winter & Summer Special Use Permit Deadlines Reminder
Release Date: Nov 5, 2021
Gladstone, MI – November 5, 2021 - Hiawatha National Forest reminds individuals and organizations interested in proposing "Special Uses" on National Forest lands to submit annual permits on a reoccurring basis for both commercial and non-commercial use. A permit may be required based on the type of noncommercial or commercial use proposed.
- Non-Commercial Group Use is a use or activity that involves a group of 75 + people, either as participants or spectators, where an entry or participation fee is not charged, and the primary purpose is not the sale of a goods or service. Examples include weddings, family reunions, church services, regattas, camping trips, hikes, music festivals and more.
- Commercial Use permits are required regardless of the group size and include recreation events: animal, bicycle, motocross, or triathlon type races, jeep rallies, dog trials, fishing contests, rendezvous, rodeos, adventure games, youth treks, wagon trains, concerts, and other similar events;
- Commercial Photography/Filming - commercial filming or sound recording, etc.;
- Outfitting and Guiding - accommodating guests, transporting persons, providing equipment, supplies and services; and
- Road Use Permits - for use of roads not open to the general public for motorized use or use of roads/driveways across NFS land to access private property.
In order to most efficiently manage proposals, the following reoccurring schedule exists:
- Summer/Fall Uses Occurring between June 1 and October 31, 2022:
Submit COMPLETE application by: FEBRUARY 15, 2022 –Submit complete proposal package to the local Forest Service District Ranger. Required information includes proposed use, itinerary, specific information on location including trails, name of group, reason why the use cannot be accommodated on Non-Federal lands, and all other basic information.
- Winter/Spring Uses Occurring between November 1, 2022 through May 31, 2023:
Submit COMPLETE application by: JULY 15, 2022 – Submit complete proposal package to the Forest Service District Ranger. Required information includes proposed use, itinerary, specific information on location including trails, name of group, reason why the use cannot be accommodated on Non-Federal lands, and all other basic information.
Permit holders with annual permits must also submit their annual operating plans by the date specified in their permit. Streamlining administrative processing of permits helps us to provide better service and timely, complete proposals for the public benefit.
For additional information about the special uses proposals please visit: https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/hiawatha/passes-permits/event-commercial or contact your local District Ranger: Munising/Rapid River/Manistique (906) 387-2512; or Sault Ste. Marie/St. Ignace (906) 643-7900.