MVUMs on the Helena-Lewis and Clark National Forest
The Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) and Over Snow Vehicle Use Maps (OSVUMs) can be printed at home or obtained from any Helena-Lewis and Clark National Forest Office for free upon request. All maps linked below are in PDF format and can be opened with Adobe Reader.
The Forest Service is committed to making its documents accessible to individuals with disabilities in accordance with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act (29 U.S.C. 794d), as amended in 1998. Not all features of Motor Vehicle Use Maps are accessible in electronic format. Please contact our office at 406-791-7700 (TTY 406-731-5331) to be sent a hard copy of this map.
Visit the Forest Service MVUM Information and Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
The MVUM displays Forest roads and trails open to motor vehicles and when they are open. If a route is not shown on the MVUM, it is not open to public motor vehicle travel. Some routes may not be signed on the ground, and it is the user's responsibility to refer to the MVUM and ensure they are on an open route. The MVUM will be updated to reflect any changes in route status, and to correct errors. Special orders may be issued at any time that temporarily close routes for reasons such as safety concerns, resource damage, or fire.
The MVUM is a black and white map with few topographic features. It is best used in conjunction with a Forest Visitor Map or other topographic map.
- Divide-Clancy-Unionville - area Helena Ranger District (2016)
- Elkhorn Mountains Atlas - Helena/Townsend RDs (2017)
- Elkhorn MVUM GeoPDF for Mobile Navigation (2017)
- Big Belt Mountains - Helena/Townsend RDs
- Big Belt Mountains MVUM (2016) - GeoPDF for Mobile Navigation
- Lincoln Ranger District
- Upper Blackfoot Valley – Lincoln Ranger District (2019) - GeoPDF for Mobile Navigation
Lewis and Clark Side
Effective Sept. 1, 2013: Letter of Clarification that allows for Wheeled Off-Highway Vehicles less than or equal to 50-inches width on trails previously designated on the Motor Vehicle Use Map as being for ATV and motorcycle only, on the Jefferson Division. This allows wheeled OHVs that meet the 50" width limitations (often known as side-by-sides) to travel on trails identified on the Motor Vehicle Use Map as open to ATV and Motorcycle. UTV's wider than 50-inches are still prohibited on ATV trails. This change does not impact the Rocky Mountain Ranger District.
- Rocky Mountain Ranger District (2017)
- Rocky Mtn RD GeoPDF for Mobile Navigation (2017)
- Little Belt Mountains (2021)
- Castle Mountains (2017)
- Castle Mtns MVUM GeoPDF for Mobile Navigation (2017)
- Crazy Mountains (2017)
- Crazy Mtns MVUM GeoPDF for Mobile Navigation (2017)
- Highwood Mountains (2021)
- Highwood Mountains MVUM Geopdf for Mobile Navigation (2021)
- Big and Little Snowy Mountains (2013)
- Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center (2016; no motorized use)
Last updated: March 24, 2021
Did you know? Motor Vehicle Use Maps only show roads and trails open to motorized use by the public. They do not display closed roads or non-motorized trails.