Motor Vehicle Use Maps

The Hoosier National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) clarifies what types of motor vehicle are currently allowed, when, and where.

  • All designated routes shown on the map are open to motorized use, and all motorized vehicles must be street legal under Indiana state law.
  • Generally, these are roads that are open and suitable for use by passenger vehicles.
  • Some roads are meant for high clearance vehicles only.
  • In addition to roads managed by the Forest Service, many roads within the Forest are under state or county jurisdiction, and users are advised to consult local laws regarding use of those roads.

Downloadable and Motor Vehicle Use Maps

Motor Vehicle Use Map will be published annually  or as needed each January showing allowed uses after appropriate environmental analyses and public involvement.  Please refer to the maps for all prohibitions.

Under Travel Management Rule, users are responsible for knowing what roads are open to which type of use. For example, users may not ride an ATV on any Hoosier National Forest road, including roads within campgrounds. The map clarifies such restrictions and will serve as an enforcement tool for motorized vehicle use on the Forest. Other maps and information may be needed to determine additional recreational opportunities and restrictions on routes not managed by the Forest Service.

For further information contact Darren Norrington at the Bedford office (Phone: 812-275-5987) or  Jason Harrison at the Tell City Ranger District office (Phone:  812-547-7051).