Recreation Passes & Permits

Annual Pass PhotoThe Interagency Recreation Passes are honored nationwide at all USDA Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service sites charging entrance or standard amenity fees.

California Campfire Permits

Campfire PhotoA portion of the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest is in California. You will need to obtain a California Campfire Permit if you plan to build a campfire or use a stove, unless you are in a developed recreation area (campground or picnic area).

Wilderness Permit

Carson Iceburg WildernessThe Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest has a total of 23 Wilderness Areas and manages more than 1.2 million acres of wilderness. Wilderness permits are only required for all overnight use in the Hoover Wilderness on the Bridgeport Ranger District in California.

Forest Product Permits

Firewood PileCollecting and removing forest products requires a permit. Forest products include items; such as, firewood, edible material, decorative material, minerals, plants, and other woody material.

Christmas Tree Permits

Christmas TreePermits to cut Christmas trees on the Austin-Tonopah, Bridgeport, Carson, Ely, and Mountain City-Ruby Mountains-Jarbidge Ranger Districts are available for purchase from Nov. 1 thru Dec. 24. The U.S. Forest Service Christmas Tree Program is designed for families, businesses, and institutions wishing to cut their own trees for decorating.

Special Use Permits

Humbodlt-Toiyabe National Forest provides a variety of land use and commercial or organized recreation opportunities which may require a special use permit.