Forest Products Permits

Collecting and removing forest products requires a permit on the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest. Forest products include firewood, minerals, plants, and edible, decorative and other woody materials. For most products, there are regulations covering when, how, and where collection is allowed. The intent of these regulations is to ensure continued availability and sustainability of the country’s forest resources.

For more information on how to get a permit, fees, product availability, or regulations covering collection, please contact the Forest office nearest intended activity.


Christmas Tree Permits 

Christmas tree permits go on sale from beginning Nov. 1, or the first business day thereafter, thru Dec. 24. Permits are available to cut trees on the Austin-Tonopah, Bridgeport, Carson, Ely, and Elko Ranger Districts.


Personal Firewood Permits

A firewood personal-use permit is required to cut, gather, and transport firewood. Permits and maps showing where firewood can be obtained are available at all forest offices. Free-use and commercial-use firewood permits are periodically available.


Other Forest Product Permits

Free-use, personal-use and commercial-use permits can be obtained for other forest products such as: berries and other fruit; boughs, twig and other cuttings; cones; foliage; and seeds. Please contact the appropriate Forest office for more specific information.