Reds Meadow Road scheduled to close October 11
Release Date: Aug 25, 2022
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Acting Public Affairs Officer
BISHOP, Calif. -- The U.S. Forest Service will begin a tree removal operation to prepare for the upcoming reconstruction and widening of Reds Meadow Road. The work will primarily occur between Agnew Meadows and Minaret Vista starting on October 1. This will temporarily impact public access to the Reds Meadow Valley until the work is complete.
- September 5: seasonal shuttle service to Reds Meadow ends. Please check with Eastern Sierra Transit Authority for additional information.
- October 1: tree clearing will begin. During this time, there will be up to thirty minute traffic delays.
- October 11: Reds Meadow Road will fully close to the public to ensure tree removal and hauling is completed before the winter weather prevents them from doing so.
- Overnight parking will not be available for backpackers in Reds Meadow Valley.
- Alternative routes for backpackers are being offered to wilderness permit holders. For more information, please contact our Wilderness Permit office at (760) 873-2483.
The Reds Meadow Reconstruction Project, which will continue into 2024, will provide major safety and traffic improvements, made possible through a Federal Lands Access Program grant received by the Town of Mammoth Lakes.
A Forest Order for the road closure will be forthcoming, and located on Inyo National Forest Orders page when available.