Home Fire Prevention and Safety
DEFENSIBLE SPACE CHECKLIST:
- Clean roof surfaces and gutters of pine needles, leaves, branches, etc., regularly to avoid accumulation of flammable materials.
- Remove portions of any tree extending within 10 feet of the flue opening of any stove or chimney.
- Maintain a screen constructed of non-flammable material over the flue opening of every chimney or stovepipe. Mesh openings of the screen should not exceed 1/2 inch.
- Remove branches from trees to height of 15 feet.
- Dispose of stove or fireplace ashes and charcoal briquettes only after soaking them in a metal pail of water.
- Store gasoline in an approved safety can away from occupied buildings.
- Propane tanks should be far enough away from buildings for valves to be shut off in case of fire.
- Keep area clear of flammable vegetation.
- All combustibles such as firewood, picnic tables, boats, etc. should be kept away from structures.
- Garden hose should be connected to outlet.
- Addressing should be indicated at all intersections and on structures.
- All roads and driveways should be at least 16 feet in width.
- Have fire tools handy such as: ladder long enough to reach the roof, shovel, rake, and a bucket for water.
- Each home should have at least two different entrance and exit routes.
REPORT WOODS ARSON (318) 443-2558
Home Fire Prevention Links
National Interagency Fire Center - Protecting your home from wildland fire checklist
National Safety Council - Keep Your Family Safe from Fire