Resource Advisory Committees

Lolo National Forest RACs

There are three resource advisory committees (RACs) serving in the Lolo National Forest. Visit the individual committee pages for meeting information and materials.

Mineral County RACMissoula County RAC | Sanders County RAC

The Tri County RAC covers Powell, Granite, and Deer Lodge counties and includes lands on the Beaverhead-Deerlodge, Lolo, Helena, and Flathead National Forests.

NEW! The Sanders and Mineral Resource Advisory Committees (RAC) are seeking new members. Volunteer RAC committee members serve an important role in recommending how funds received by counties under the Secure Rural Schools Act will be spent on projects that are on or will benefit nearby National Forest lands. 

If you are interested in serving on the Mineral RAC, please contact:

If you are interested in serving on the Sanders RAC, please contact:

If you have questions about the Missoula RAC, please contact:

RAC Information

A Secure Rural Schools Resource Act Advisory Committee (RAC) provides recommendations to the Forest Service on the development and implementation of special projects on federal lands reauthorized under the Secure Rural Schools Act and Community Self-Determination Act in Public Law 115-141. Each RAC consists of 15 people representing varied interests and areas of expertise, who work collaboratively to improve working relationships among community members and national forest personnel.

What are the duties of the Resource Advisory Committee?

  • Review and make recommendations on proposed conservation projects and recreation fee proposals.
  • Each member serves a four-year term.
  • Participate in meetings an average of 1-3 times per year.

What types of Projects does the RAC fund?

SRS funds may be used for projects that improve the maintenance of existing infrastructure, implement stewardship objectives that enhance forest ecosystems, restore and improve land health, fish and wildlife habitat, and water quality. RACs also review and make recommendations on recreation fee proposals submitted by the local National Forests.

Interested in submitting a project proposal for consideration?

How can I become involved?

Interested individuals should have an interest in resource management and a strong desire to work collaboratively within a diverse group of interests. Contact your local Lolo National Forest office for more information.

Additional information about the RAC and Secure Rural Schools can be found at Secure Rural Schools

If you have questions, contact Lolo National Forest RAC Coordinator Kate Jerman at (406) 552-7944 or email at