Ojai Ranger District
Updated: May 15, 2022
Know Before You Go!
Hwy 33 is open. Check Caltrans for current conditions.
Call for current conditions: (805) 646-4348 or (661) 805-1057. The ranger station in Ojai is temporarily closed to walk-in visitation, but calls are answered Mon-Fri, 8:00am - 4:30pm.
Nordhoff Ridge Rd is temporarily closed until further notice due to winter storm damage to the road. Call (661) 805-1057 for future reservations.
The Wheeler Gorge Visitor Center is open on Saturdays from 9:00am - 3:00pm and on Sundays from 10:00am - 2:00pm. Located at: 17017 Maricopa Highway Ojai, CA. Please visit the Visitor Center website for more information.
- Alder Creek
- Agua Blanca
- Chorro Grande Trail (mile marker 36.60 on Hwy 33)
- Cozy Dell
- Dough Flat Trailhead
- Gridley Trail
- Horn Canyon Trail
- Howard CreekTrail
- Lion Canyon
- Middle Sespe Trail (mile marker 28.07 on Hwy 33 - 8 miles to the Sespe Creek Trail)
- North Matilija
- Piedra Blanca Gene Marshall Trail
- Potrero John Trail (mile marker 32.10 on Hwy 33)
- Pothole Trail
- Pratt Trail
- Red Reef Trail: Sisar road to Nordhoff ridge Road
- Red Reef Trail: Ladybug to Sespe, impassible to stock, very overgrown with poison oak and many down trees and washouts.
- Rose Valley Falls Trails (park outside the campground and walk through the campground to get to the trailhead - no fee to park)
- Santa Paula Canyon Trail
- Sespe River Trail to Willett Hotsprings
- Sisar Canyon
Current Restrictions/Forest Orders
Forest Order 05-07-00-22-01 Firearms Prohibition - The Firearms Prohibition Forest Order is effective through December 31, 2022.
Forest Order 05-07-55-21-15 Sespe Condor Sanctuary Occupancy and Use Restriction - Expires 9-20-2023
Campground Occupany Use Forest Order 05-07-00-22-02 Camping 14 day stay - Expires 1/13/2024
There is no disperse car camping on the Ojai Ranger District except for the Nordhoff Ridge Rd. You need to obtain a permit to access the Nordhoff Ridge Rd. Permits are issued by calling (661) 805-1057 Mon-Fri, 8-430. You need to make a reservation for the permit at least one week in advance. As of May 5, 2022, Nordhoff Ridge Rd is still closed due to winter storm damage to the road.
Disperse camping is not allowed on Hwy 33, the Rose Valley Recreation Area, Pine Mountain Recreation Area or Matilija Canyon Rd. These are Restricted Use Zones.
- Nordhoff Ridge Rd (5N08) - 5/5/2022 - Temporarily closed due to winter storm road damage.Contact (661) 805-1057 for more information about making future reservations.
- Reyes Peak Road - 6N06.1/6N06.2 - Open
- Dough Flat - 6N16 - Open
- Cherry Creek Rd - closed until further notice
Portrero Seco Road Closure
Portrero Seco Road (6N03) is closed indefinitately.
Ojai Ranger District Informational Brochures
- Rose Valley Campground Informational Brochure
- Pine Mountain and Reyes Peak Informational Brochure
- Middle Lion Campground Informational Brochure
- Sespe Condor Sanctuary and the Tar Creek Area closure
The Tar Creek Area in the Sespe Condor Sanctuary is closed to the public
- Sespe Condor Sanctuary Area/Tar Creek Creek Closure Map - Exhibit B
- Sespe Condor Sanctuary Forest Closure Order - Expires 9-20-2023
- Exhibit A
- Sespe Condor Sanctuary Information sheet