Monterey Ranger District
April 1, 2017
MONTEREY RANGER DISTRICT
Ranger Station (831) 385-5434
The conditions listed below can change rapidly, especially with inclement weather. Therefore, it is recommended that visitors to the Forest contact the Ranger District Office which is nearest to their destination for the very latest information. The National Weather Service is a good resource for information about current and predicted weather!
For the most current information about conditions on Highway-1 call the toll-free hotline at (888) 836-0866www.dot.ca.gov/dist05/projects/
Highway 1 Status as of 3/23/17:
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED FROM RAGGED POINT (SAN LUIS OBISPO CO) TO 0.5 MI SOUTH OF BIG SUR STATE PARK /IN BIG SUR/ (MONTEREY CO) - DUE MUDSLIDE REMOVAL - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE
For more information, please visit: http://www.dot.ca.gov/
Nacimiento - Fergusson Rd is OPEN, South Coast Ridge Rd (Prewitt Ridge area) is open
Kirk Creek and Plaskett Creek Campgrounds are now open
PFEIFFER BEACH is closed until further notice due to flooding and road damage.
PINE RIDGE TRAIL, SYKES HOT SPRINGS is closed until further notice. See the Forest Order for more details or call the USFS Monterey District office in King City (831) 385-5434 for more information.
SOBERANES FIRE CLOSURE INFORMATION
The Soberanes Fire is now one-hundred percent contained and controlled. The fire closure order that went into effect September 3 for the entire Monterey Ranger District has been reduced to the fire scar. This current closure will help ensure that members of the public are not injured within the fire perimeter, allow for the scorched landscape to begin the rehabilitation process, and help reduce the potential for another human-caused fire. The southern portion of the Monterey Ranger District, including the Silver Peak Wilderness, is now open to the public, however, Hwy 1 is still closed so there is NO access to the Silver Peak Wilderness. For more information, please contact the Monterey Ranger District at (831) 385-5434 X 0.
Soberanes Fire Closure Order 05-07-51-16-22
Soberanes Fire Closure Order Map 05-07-51-22
The following roads, trails and campgrounds in the Los Padres National Forest are currently CLOSED:
Sycamore Canyon road to Pfeiffer Beach is closed due to road damage from storms
Palo Colorado Rd at Hwy 1 and Botcher's Gap Campground
Tassajara Rd, China Camp, White Oaks Campground and all trailheads off of Tassajara Rd
Pine Ridge Trailhead at Hwy 1/Big Sur Station and the Pine Ridge Trail off of Tassajara Rd
Arroyo Seco Trailhead into the Ventana Wilderness
Escondido Campground (no road access to these campgrounds due to storm related conditions)
Piney Creek Campgrounds
THE FOLLOWING FOREST SERVICE ROADS, DAY USE AREAS, BEACHES AND CAMPGROUNDS ARE CURRENTLY OPEN
- Plaskett Creek Campground
- Kirk Creek Canmpground
- Sand Dollar Beach Day Use Area
- Willow Creek Day Use Area
- Arroyo Seco Campground, Group Campground and Day Use Area
- Santa Lucia Memorial Campground
- Nacimiento Rd, South Coast Ridge Road (Prewitt Ridge area)
- Nacimiento Campground
- Ponderosa Campground
THE NORTH COAST RIDGE ROAD IS CLOSED PERMANENTLY TO VEHICLE TRAFFIC
For more information about the Parks Managemnet Company that manages Plaskett Creek, Kirk Creek, Botcher's Gap, Nacimiento, Ponderosa Campgrounds and day use areas (Sand Dollar Beach, Pfeiffer Beach), call (805) 434-1996 or visit: www.campone.com
For backcountry trail conditions, please visit:
Current Conditions for All Big Sur Area California State Parks
Updated March 31, 2017
ALERT: As of February 15, Highway 1 is impassable in both directions at Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge (about half a mile south of the Big Sur Station). The bridge has been demolished and is being rebuilt. Anticipated re-opening for through-traffic is around Sept/Oct 2017. Currently, northern access to Big Sur is open from Carmel to the Big Sur Station. Businesses are open. Most State Parks and trails remain closed. South of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge, access is still closed on Highway 1 at Ragged Point. Nacimiento-Fergusson Road is open to the public, allowing public access to Highway 1 between Gorda and Limekiln State Park. Check traffic conditions before driving at the Caltrans website.
- GARRAPATA State Park is open on the west side of Highway 1. All park lands east of Highway 1 closed to public entry, due to the 2016 Soberanes Fire.
- POINT SUR LIGHT STATION is open for guided tours, though tours may be cancelled due to weather conditions and road closures. More info: www.pointsur.org or (831) 625-4419
- ANDREW MOLERA State Park is closed until further notice due to flooding and damage from recent storms.
- PFEIFFER BIG SUR State Park continues to be closed due to the impact from the 2016 Soberanes Fire and damage from recent storms. BUZZARDS ROOST TRAIL is closed until further notice, however the connecting trail from Big Sur Lodge to Fernwood is open. GROUP CAMP is closed and not available for reservation until further notice. Follow on Facebook for more up-to-date information. BIG SUR LODGE IS OPEN.
- JULIA PFEIFFER BURNS State Park is inaccessible and closed until further notice.
- LIMEKILN State Park is now open, but Highway 1 is only accessible by vehicle from Nacimiento Fergusson Road. Please use a map to check your route before travelling. Once you get to Highway 1, the only public access is between Gorda (PM 10) to the south, and Limekiln State Park (PM 20) to the north. The remainder of Highway 1 remains closed due to land slides.
For more State Park information and updates on current conditions, please call the California State Parks Big Sur Sector Office at (831) 667-1112 or the Big Sur Station at (831) 667-2315 or visit www.parks.ca.gov.