Monterey Ranger District
Photo: Ventana Wilderness, Monterey Ranger District
Updated: September 16, 2022
Know Before You Go!
Please contact the Monterey Ranger District office or the Big Sur Visitor Center for information about road condtions, camping, backpacking, hiking and beach access.
Nacimiento-Fergusson Road Closure
The atmospheric river storm event that stalled over Monterey County in late January dumped up to 15 inches of rain on the Monterey Ranger District. The Highway 1 washout at Rat Creek generated national headlines, however, the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road that connects Highway 1 with Fort Hunter Liggett and Highway 101 suffered significantly more damage but received far less media attention. Extensive slides, debris flows and road failures at a dozen sites along the road have rendered Nac-Ferg impassable to vehicle traffic. The road will remain closed under a Forest Order until repairs can be made. The public is strongly encouraged to avoid Nacimiento-Fergusson Road until the road has been cleared of debris and is safe for through traffic. Initial cost estimates for fixing the road run into the millions of dollars. The Forest Service is working with the Monterey County Department of Public Works and Fort Hunter Liggett, and will be applying for Emergency Relief for Federally Owned Roads (ERFO) through the Federal Highway Administration to secure additional funding.
The Pine Ridge Trail
The popular Pine Ridge Trail (PRT) on Los Padres National Forest reopened to public use nearly five years after the devastating 2016 Soberanes Fire and winter storms of 2017. Massive sections of the trail were repaired by volunteers, partner groups, and U.S. Forest Service-funded contract crews. Read more...
Dolan Fire Road and Campground Closure - Forest Order 05-07-51-22-06
Closed roads and campgrounds due to the Dolan Fire:
In response to the increasing potential for a wildland fire start, Los Padres National Forest officials announced that fire restrictions will be implemented throughout the Forest effective May 27. These restrictions will affect the use of campfires, stoves, smoking materials, and internal combustion engines, and will remain in effect until January 31, 2023.
- No open fires, campfires or charcoal fires will be permitted outside of developed recreation sites or designated Campfire Use Sites, even with a valid California Campfire Permit. Lanterns and portable stoves using gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel will be permitted, but only with a valid California Campfire Permit, which can be obtained free-of-charge at the Ready For Wildfire website. Forest visitors must clear all flammable material for five feet in all directions from their camp stove, have a shovel available, and ensure that a responsible person always attends the stove during use.
- Current Fire Restrictions
- Forest Order 05-07-00-22-08 Fire Use Restrictions
- Fire Use Restrictions Exhibit A - Campfire Use Sites
Forest Orders and Restrictions
- Forest Order 05-07-00-22-01 Firearms Prohibition - The Firearms Prohibition Forest Order is effective through December 31, 2022.
- Forest Order 05-07-51-20-27 Road Use Restriction - Forest Road No. 19S05 (Sycamore Canyon Road to Pfeiffer Beach) - Expires December 2, 2022
- Forest Order 05-07-51-20-27 MAP
- Forest Order 05-07-51-20-16 Roadside Camping Prohibition on Nacimiento-Fergusson Road - Expires 8/26/22
- Forest Order 05-07-51-20-16 Roadside Camping Prohibition on Nacimiento-Fergusson Road MAP
- Campground Occupany Use Forest Order 05-07-00-22-02 Camping 14 day stay - Expires 1/13/2024
- Arroyo Seco Rd to the Arroyo Seco Recreation Area
- Escondido Rd to Escondido Campground
- Indians Road to Santa Lucia Memorial Park Campground
- Forest Road No. 23S01 (Los Burros/Willow Creek Road)
- Forest Road No. 23S02 (Plaskett Ridge Road)
- Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd from Hwy 101 is open through Ft. Hunter Liggett to Nacimineto Campground only. No access to Hwy 1 (the coast).
- Forest Road No. 18S02 (Tassajara Road) - Drive with caution. 4-wheel drive, high clearance vehicles only. Road is rutted and damaged from winter storms.
Temporary Road Closures
- Nacimiento-Fergusson Road (West of Nacimiento Campground to the Highway 1 intersection)
- Forest Road No. 22S05 (South Coast Ridge Road)
- Forest Road No. 20S05.3 (Central Coast Road/Cone Peak Road)
- Forest Road No. 19S10 (Piney Creek Road) to the Piney Creek Campgrounds
To make a future reservation, go to www.recreation.gov or call 1-877-444-6777
- Arroyo Seco Campground
- Arroyo Seco Group Campground
- China Camp Campground
- Escondido Campground
- Kirk Creek Campground
- Plaskett Creek Campground
- Plaskett Creek Group Campground
- Nacimiento Campground (First-come, first-serve only) Accessible from Hwy 101 through Ft. Hunter Liggett only. No access from Hwy 1.
- Ponderosa Campground (Access from Hwy 101 through Ft. Hunter Liggett only)
- Santa Lucia Memorial Park Campground
- White Oaks Campground
- Piney Creek Campground (Closed until further notice)
Day Use Areas
- Arroyo Seco Day Use Area - Open
- Pfeiffer Beach Day Use Area - Open
- Sand Dollar Beach Day Use Area Open
- Mill Creek - Open
- Willow Creek - Open
Silver Peak Wilderness
Refer to https://bigsurtrailmap.net/ for open/closed trails and trail camps
- Pine Ridge Trail
- Kirk Creek Trail
- Vicente Flat Trail
Ventana and Silver Peak Wilderness Information
California State Park Information
Parks Management Concession Company
For more information about the Parks Management Company (PMC) that manages recreation sites for the Forest Service (Plaskett Creek, Kirk Creek, White Oaks, China Camp, Nacimiento, Ponderosa and Arroyo Seco Campgrounds and day use areas (Sand Dollar Beach, Mill Creek, Willow Creek, Pfeiffer Beach), please visit: www.campone.com