Campfire Permits

Campfire Permits

California Campfire Permits are now available at: Watch the video and follow the insturctions to obtain a permit. Fill the information out on the permit, print it out and take it with you. Permit is currently required to have a campfire outside of Campfire Use Sites (developed car campgrounds).

You can also go to any Forest Service, CALFIRE, or Bureau of Land Management office during business hours to obtain a permit.

Regulations governing campfires can change with weather conditions and the seasons. To protect yourself and the forest, before each visit, check with the Forest Service office nearest to your destination for current restrictions.

You can help protect the National Forests from wildfires by knowing and following the rules for the safe use of fire. You must have a California Campfire Permit to use a stove or lantern outside a Developed Recreation Area or Campfire Use Site. The permit is your agreement to follow restrictions and regulations in effect.

Your California Campfire Permit is valid until the end of the calendar year; it may be used in any National Forest in California.

During certain times of the year, it is necessary to impose restrictions on campfires and other open flame fires due to high fire danger. It is your responsibility to know what the current restrictions are for the area that you plan to visit.

Internal combustion engines may be operated only on roads or designated trails. (This restriction is in effect year-round)

Spark arresters are required on all off-highway vehicles, chainsaws, and other internal combustion engines and equipment. (This restriction is in effect at all times of the year)

A permit is required for all welding, grinding, cutting, or use of explosives. (This restriction is in effect at all times of the year)

The use of tracer ammunition is prohibited. (This restriction is in effect at all times of the year)

Fireworks are prohibited in Los Padres National Forest. (This restriction is in effect at all times of the year)


Ranger Stations and Visitor Centers

Mt. Pinos Ranger District
34580 Lockwood Valley Rd.
Frazier Park, CA 93225
Phone: (661) 556-6110

Ojai Ranger District
1190 E. Ojai Ave.
Ojai, CA 93023
Phone: (805) 448-4710

Wheeler Gorge Visitor Center
17017 Maricopa Highway
Ojai, CA 93023
(805) 640-9060
Open Sat/Sun 9:00am-3:00pm

Santa Barbara Ranger District
3505 Paradise Rd.
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
Phone: (805) 448-4710

Santa Lucia Ranger District
1616 No.Carlotti Dr.
Santa Maria, CA 93454
Phone: (805) 448-6487

Big Sur Multi-Agency Vistor Center
Big Sur, CA
(831) 667-2315

Monterey Ranger District
406 So. Mildred
King City, CA 93930
Phone: (831) 385-5434 X 0