Santa Barbara Ranger District
Date: September 25, 2023
Know Before You Go!
- Santa Barbara Ranger District: 805-724-0079. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm. Closed weekends and federal holidays.
- The office is located at 3505 Paradise Rd, Santa Barbara, CA 93105
- Contact www.recreation.gov to make or cancel a camping reservation or call 1-877-444-6777.
- Parks Management Comnpany - www.campone.com or email: email@example.com
Lower Santa Ynez Recreation Area Update:
- The First Crossing Kiosk is open seven days a week and there is a $10 fee to park at the First Crossing, White Rock Day Use Areas, Lower Oso Day Use Area and Falls Day Use Area .On weekends, go early for day use. When the parking areas are full, vehicles will be turned away.
- Fremont and Paradise Campgrounds are open. Reservations are recommended: www.recreation.gov
- Sage Hill Group Campground is open by reservation: www.recreation.gov
- The First Crossing Day Use Area/Picnic Area and White Rock are open.
- Santa Ynez River Rd from the Falls Day Use Area to Red Rock is only open to pedestrian, equestrian and bicycle use only. No vehicles.
- Red Rock Day Use Area and Trailhead are closed by Forest order 5-07-00-23-11.
Storm Damage Forest Closure Orders
Forest Order 05-07-00-23-11 Special Closure - Storm Damage Recovery: Effective August 31, 2023 - August 31, 2024
Forest Order 05-07-00-23-11 Special Closure Public Health & Safety: Effective August 31, 2023 - October 30, 2023
Many areas of the Forest that were closed for public health and safety concerns following powerful winter storms that inflicted significant damage have reopened.
Two new Forest orders are now in place that will keep severely compromised roads, trails, campgrounds, and day-use sites closed to the public while Forest engineers, partner groups, volunteers, and contractors work on repairs as funding becomes available. Road crews and resources from other national forests in California have been assisting with road clearing and maintenance projects to reopen additional areas once they have been repaired.
Target Shooting Prohibition
Firearms Prohibition Forest Order: Effective February 15, 2023 through December 31, 2024
Santa Barbara Front Country Fire Use Restrictions
Forest Order 05-07-54-22-04 Fire Use Restrictions - Santa Barbara Front Country Expires: February 24, 2024. These restrictions do not apply to the campgrounds in the Lower Santa Ynez Recreation Area. Please refer to the map for restricted areas or call (805) 448-6487 for more information.
- Fire Use Restrictions - Santa Barbara Front Country Closure Map. NOTE: This prohibition does not include the following campgrounds on the Santa Barbara and Santa Lucia Ranger Districts: Fremont, Paradise, Los Prietos, Upper Oso, Figueroa Mountain, Davy Brown and Nira.
Forest Order 05-07-00-22-02 Camping 14 day stay - Expires 1/13/2024
Open OHV Trails
- Divide Peak OHV Routes
- 5N12.1 / 26W22 Divide Peak OHV Road
- Divide Peak OHV Staging Area
- 26W21A Divide Peak Bowl OHV Track
- 26W21 Divide Peak Bowl OHV Trail
Open Day Use/Picnic Areas
Open Hiking Trails
- Aliso Trail is open, but the Upper Oso Connector Loop section is still closed due to storm damage.
- Santa Cruz Trail to 19 Oaks Camp is open. The trail is closed beyond 19 Oaks Camp.
- McKinley Trail at Cachuma Saddle off of Happy Canyon Rd - Open
- Snyder Trail - Open
- Tequepis Trail (Off of Hwy 154 across from Lake Cachuma. - Open
To reach Tequepis Trail, start at the free parking lot at the entrance of Circle V Camp. Follow the dirt road straight through the camp past a swimming pool and bunkhouses. After 0.2 miles, step over Tequepis Creek and pass through a large metal gate. This is the boundary of the Los Padres National Forest and the start of Tequepis Trail.
- Rattlesnake Trail- Open
- Jesusita Trail - Open
- Cold Springs Trail west to Tangerine Falls - Open
- Cold Springs Trail east - Open
- Tunnel Trail to Seven Falls or Inspiration Point (open on the frontside - closed on the backside)
- San Ysidro Trail is only open up to where the single track trail starts (the single track trail is closed)
- Hot Springs Trail - Open
- Buena Vista Trail - Open
- McMenemy Trail - Open
- Romero Canyon Trail is CLOSED on the frontside, but open on the BACKSIDE
Roads Restricted to Non-Motorized Vehicle Use
Road Status -Forest Service Roads
- Paradise Rd is open to the ranger station, the First Crossing and the Falls Day Use Area are. The road past Falls Day Use Area to Red Rock is closed to vehicles. Pedestrian, equestrian and bicycles only.
- Romero Camuesa Rd to the Upper Santa Ynez Recreation Area/Pendola/hot springs area is closed.
- West Camino Cielo is open.
- 5N15A / Upper Oso Campground Loop is closed.
OHV Trailhead Closure to Vehicles
- Upper Oso OHV Staging Area - Buckhorn Rd
Hiking Trail Closures
Day Use Area Closures
- Red Rock DUA
- Sandstone DUA
- Live Oak DUA