Recreational Gold Panning

Many factors may affect recreational gold panning opportunities.  The first step is to determine if the area you want to work is within acquired lands or not.

Acquired lands are National Forest System lands, but were acquired from an organization or individual and as such are not subject to the 1872 Mining Law and are not open to general prospecting or mining claims.  
Recreational and small-scale placer mining authorization is required by the State of Oregon. Check out their website for more information.
Forest Service mining regulations are found at 36 CFR 228, Subpart A.
Contact Hannah Grist 541-575-3346 or for additional mining and recreational gold panning information.