About

 

Baker Lake road (Forest Service road 11)

 

 

"FOR THE GREATEST GOOD, FOR THE GREATEST NUMBER 
FOR THE LONG RUN"

~ Gifford Pinchot

 

ABOUT

SUSTAINABLE ROADS ANALYSIS, What is it? The Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest must identify a more ecologically and financially sustainable road system by 2015. The Travel Management Rule of 2005 requires all national forests to analyze their roads and propose transportation systems that meet travel, administrative and resource protection needs within available budgets. The Sustainable Roads Analysis will help the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest gather the information necessary to make future decisions about road projects such as upgrades, closures, decommissioning, and road-to-trail conversions.

 

THIS SITUATION ISN'T just about a report. The reality of the road budget decline is hitting us today.The MBS has only enough money to maintain about a quarter of our 2,500 miles of roads. Last year we had $688,000 to pay for maintenance, this year we expect $200,000. Not only have road maintenance funds been reduced, but other funds have been reduced or eliminated, including Legacy, Emergency Relief of Federally Owned Roads (ERFO), Recovery (Stimulus), Rural Aid to Counties (RAC – Title II), Salmon Recovery Funding Board (SRFB) and other grants.

For 2013, our expected funding will maintain 628 miles of roads. Of those roads, we plan to maintain 86 percent for passenger car use and the remaining 14 percent for high-clearance vehicles. We anticipate a 10 percent reduction of road maintenance funding.

Maintenance costs are expensive. A rough estimate shows that roads maintained for high-clearance vehicles costs an average of about $715 per mile, while those maintained for passenger cars cost about $1,750 per mile.

Right now, as the snow melts and our engineers assess the road damage, they are adopting strategies to work within this year’s reduced funding by cutting back on brushing, filling potholes instead of grading the entire road and not replacing as many culverts. We don’t know what to expect next year, but we do know there will be less money.





https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/workingtogether/?cid=stelprdb5423896