Christmas tree season is now open through December 31, 2023 on the Mt. Hood National Forest! Cutting a Christmas tree in a national forest is a tradition for many. By cutting your own tree, you take an active part in managing your public lands! Please take special care to read and follow guidelines for collecting your tree - this will help in protecting our natural resources and the future of this program for many years to come. Buy a permit in person at a district office, from one of our local vendors, or online at Recreation.gov.
Christmas tree permit guidelines and forest maps
- Cost - $5/permit/tree. Recreation.gov charges $2.50 service fee. No fee when purchased from a vendor or district office.
- Annual Limit - 5 trees/household.
- Tree guidelines - Maximum 15 feet tall. Must be growing within 12 feet of another tree. Cut down the entire tree, leaving a stump no more than 6 inches from the ground.
- Prohibitions - No tree cutting within 100 feet of any highway; in wilderness or recreation areas & trails; or within active timber sales.
*More information can be found in the Mt. Hood National Forest Christmas tree permit guidelines.
- Zigzag Ranger District Christmas tree map
- Clackamas River Ranger District Christmas tree map
- Barlow & Hood River Ranger Districts Christmas tree map
Unable to download or print? Information is also available at Ranger Station kiosks. Please call or email us to request maps and information.
Unable to make it to a district office or just want to get a permit from the comfort of your home?
Christmas tree permits are available for purchase online at Recreation.gov. Please note that Recreation.gov charges a $2.50 service fee and that your online permit and cutting guidelines must be printed and on your person when you go to get your tree.
Christmas tree permits are available to purchase at one of our District offices in Sandy, Zigzag, Parkdale, and Dufur. Hours can vary - we recommend calling in advance.
Christmas tree permits are also $5 when purchased from a vendor! We have multiple local businesses that participate in our Christmas tree vendor program around Mt. Hood. Click here for a list of local vendors or see table below.
|CITY||VENDOR NAME & CONTACT|
Free tree for fourth graders
Fourth graders can receive a free Christmas tree permit! They must have their Every Kid Outdoors pass or voucher with them to receive the permit.
Fourth graders can obtain their free Christmas tree permit at one of our district offices or online at Recreation.gov ($2.50 service fee will apply online). Please note: Every Kid Outdoors tree permits are not available from local vendors. The passholder - your fourth grader! - must be present to get their free Christmas tree permit at a district office.