Recreation Passes and Permits

Passes: Interagency Pass PictureMany recreation activities in the Mark Twain National Forest are available at no cost to the recreational user.

Where developed recreation areas are concerned, however, there is a cost to operating these areas that is recouped through the use of day use fees.

To provide an affordable alternative for frequent visitors to the forests, or for folks who make their National Forests a destination for a week's vacation, we offer a variety of recreational passes and permits that help you save money on day use fees.


How to Buy

For your convenience, there are three ways to purchase a recreation pass.

  • Order Interagency Passes through the U.S. Geological Survey online or by phone (888) 275-8747.

  • Order any pass by calling any Mark Twain National Forest office.

  • Interagency Passes can be purchased from other federal agencies. Find one near you.

Annual Passes

Forest and Interagency passes are good for one (1) year.

  • Annual Forest Passes - Only good on the Mark Twain National Forest
  • Interagency Passes - Good at any Forest Service, National Park, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation and US Fish and Wildlife Service sites that charge an entrance or standard amenity fee


Lifetime Passes

Available passes that are good for the lifetime of the passholder.


Day Use Passes

Some USDA Forest Service operated sites charge a day use fee. This fee can be paid on-site using the provided fee tubes. Fees must be paid using cash or check, no credit card machines are available at any sites. Annual and Lifetime passes can be purchased to cover day use fees at USDA Forest Service operated sites. Fees vary by site, but are usually only $2 or $3.


Motorcycle, ATV, UTV, and Mountain Bike Permits

Mark Twain National Forest restricts riding of ATVs, UTV's and motorcycles on national forest land to open, numbered roads (if ridden in compliance with state law) and designated motorized trails. State law prohibits riding ATVs and UTV's on public roads, except with a county permit, or other exceptions. There are two designated motorized trail systems on the forest – Chadwick Motorcycle and ATV Trail System in Christian County, and Sutton Bluff Motorcycle and ATV Trail System in Reynolds County (near the Sutton Bluff Campground).

The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act authorizes collecting and retaining fees for specialized trail systems to improve maintenance and better serve the customers. Anyone riding an ATV, UTV, motorcycle, or mountain bike on these trails is required to purchase and display a current annual ATV/UTV/motorcycle or mountain bike sticker or daily use tag. All ATVs and UTVs must be under 50" in width.

ATV/UTV, Motorcycle Special Recreation Permits

Who Can Buy Price How Long is it Good For?
Anyone $20 2 days
Anyone $30 3 days
Anyone $60 Annual to December 31 of the year purchased



Pass Who Can Buy Price How Long is it Good For?
Mountain Bike Anyone $20.00/person December 31 of the year purchased
ATV, UTV, Motorcycle Anyone $7.00/person One Day
Mountain Bike Anyone $3.00/person One Day

Where to Purchase

Permits are available from the Ava, Salem and Rolla offices.

Passes for Chadwick are also available online through

*Call before going to a vendors to ensure they have permits available*

More Information


Recreation Enhancement Act (REA) benefits visitors to federal public lands by

Ninety-five percent of fees paid through the Recreation Enhancement Act stay local to help the Forest maintain high quality recreation facilities and trails and:

  • increased field patrols by wilderness rangers/portage crews; wilderness maintenance for trails, portages, campsites; increased visitor contact by interpreters and other education projects;
  • area-specific maps, brochures, travel planners, etc.; specific campsite cleanup and human waste removal; special field projects like boardwalks, weed removal, campsite restoration;
  • volunteers supporting the wilderness program;
  • administration of outfitter guides and cooperators;
  • wilderness character monitoring and possible mitigation actions;
  • safety advisories & training (blow down events, fires, etc.);
  • maintenance of entry point facilities (kiosks) and access to entry points (ramps);
  • permit reservation system support;
  • support of emergency medical and rescue services; and special orders, like fire, or other emergency closures.